21 Shot Blackpowder Group

Alias

Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
Manitoba
Neufeld Gunsights



21 Shot Blackpowder group

IMG_0321.jpg


Not your ordinary 21 shot group:

GUN/LOAD
38-55 Oliver F. Winchester
Open sights
250 gr. Lee bullet
42 gr. Goex FFG
1225 FPS
29" Bullet drop from 100 yds to 200yds

CONDITIONS
60 degrees F
5-10 mph wind (right to left)
1 shot @100 yds
1 shot @105 yds .7" drop
1 shot @110 yds 1.5" drop
1 shot @115 yds 2.3" drop
1 shot @120 yds 3.2" drop
1 shot @125 yds 4.2" drop
1 shot @130 yds 5.3" drop
1 shot @135 yds 6.4" drop
1 shot @140 yds 7.6" drop
1 shot @145 yds 9.0" drop
1 shot @150 yds 10.3" drop
1 shot @155 yds 11.8" drop
1 shot @160 yds 13.4" drop
1 shot @165 yds 15.0" drop
1 shot @170 yds 16.7" drop
1 shot @175 yds 18.5" drop
1 shot @180 yds 20.4" drop
1 shot @185 yds 22.4" drop
1 shot @190 yds 24.5" drop
1 shot @195 yds 26.6" drop
1 shot @200 yds 28.9" drop



Normal 10-shot 100 yd group is approx. 3"

100-200 yd Group measures 3.625 verical (adjusted sight for elevation) X 6.75 horizontal (Did not aim over for windage)

What the purpose of the group was to test a new sight I invented. For years I tried available receiver & tang sights so that I could use my low velocity open sight guns for hunting, but always ended up leaving these in the gun cabinet when the hunting season began as I could only trust these to about 125 yds aiming on & adjusting them took too much time that I might lose my opportunity to shoot.

So I came up with a receiver sight (tang sights always seem in the way on a levergun) that compensates for bullet drop. It uses an interchangeable cam that is profiled to match the trajectory of my gun & load (with click settings spaced @ 5yd intervals and profile calculated to 1 yd intervals) which is interchangeable, so I could use a different load if desired by swapping cams.

The target represents my first test of this. The second test came in deer season:
When I saw a deer sneaking thru the bush about to come into a hole in the bush. I didn't have time to range the distance but as I had been using the rangefinder all morning in the area I estimated 150 yds, adjusted to that distance & took the shot. Then I took the rangefinder out to check the distance - 152 yds. I felt confident of the shot and the result was a heart hit & dead deer found within 50 yds that I would have missed or wounded if I had "aimed on" with any of the previous store bought sights I had used (drop was 11" @ 152 yds)

Here's a link to a video showing the sights in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6EJV6zGRc
 
Last edited:
Sorry man, but that video....I want my time back.

Show the actual sight, show how it works, how it looks, how you adjust it, so that it can be seen. Some close ups or even a white-board style picture or two. After the first few minutes, I scanned through the vid and got a couple glimpses of the sight. Y'all having a day at the range, proving again and again that you can adjust the sights up and down for elevation isn't much of an interesting video.

Am actually impressed by that group. That's some good shooting.

Cheers
Trev
 
The use of a Cam hasn't been done before on iron sights?

The Leatherwood ART series scopes use that system. pretty much ties you to ammo that matches the cam curve, unless custom or blank cams are available.

Neat project.
Cheers
Trev
 
Hi Brutus,

There is enough adjustment in the sight to adjust for the trajectory (within the 100 to 200 yd range of the sight) of any load from approx 1100 fps and up.

In some cases you need to change the front sight insert to a taller or lower one so that at the 100yd "sight in" distance the sight will be at its proper height (with a slight gap between the aperature mount and the top of the receiver).

There is separate adjustments to "sight in" your gun. You turn the sight cam to the 100 yd setting while you make these intial settings then the cam adds the additional elevation as needed based on the distance you set it to. A lot simpler than it sounds.

Attaches in a couple minutes using the factory drilled & tapped holes on the side of the receiver
 
I watched the new section of the video. That definitely is an improvement to the picture.
Seeing the sight mounted, gives a much better sense of what is going on with it.

5 yard click increments looks pretty handy for being able to range adjust by feel.

Best of luck with the venture.

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom