.22 LR ammo price check

I just ran out, now I have to splurge on another bulk pack of ammo. At least the stuff lasts me a month or so with light target shooting.

I will probably have a heart attack when I look at the prices again, probably double from a week ago.
 
Looks like we might have to reload .22lr...... HA......HA....... SCARY THOUGHT

When you think about it, this isn't so odd an idea. Provided you could buy the pre-primed brass, and the bullets themselves, I'd guess many people would love to reload .22 for the extra accuracy.
I'm sure it's the economics that have made it non-viable, though.
 
When you think about it, this isn't so odd an idea. Provided you could buy the pre-primed brass, and the bullets themselves, I'd guess many people would love to reload .22 for the extra accuracy.
I'm sure it's the economics that have made it non-viable, though.

Ummm, just exactly what would we be doing to improve accuracy by reloading 22lr? Can't change the primer, it's already in the case. You wouldn't really be changing things like seating depth etc. The bullet has a heel and the part inside the case is smaller than that which is outside.

I dunno. Think we could make Federal bulk shoot like Eley by adding or subtracting .01gr of powder?;):)
 
When you think about it, this isn't so odd an idea. Provided you could buy the pre-primed brass, and the bullets themselves, I'd guess many people would love to reload .22 for the extra accuracy.
I'm sure it's the economics that have made it non-viable, though.

I can't remember what shooting discipline it is but people used to handload .22 WMR to gain advantage.
 
Is there a good reason that the American Eagle stuff is more expensive than the Federal Game Shok? I thought AE was Federal's budget line.

I've been picking up 50pks to see what my rifle likes. IIRC, AE 40pk was 3.89, while the Game Shok 50pk was 3.49. Blazers were 2.99.

I'm using this rifle for small game, so I want a cheap hunting load - not just for plinking/target.
 
Ummm, just exactly what would we be doing to improve accuracy by reloading 22lr? Can't change the primer, it's already in the case. You wouldn't really be changing things like seating depth etc. The bullet has a heel and the part inside the case is smaller than that which is outside.

I dunno. Think we could make Federal bulk shoot like Eley by adding or subtracting .01gr of powder?;):)

Given a choice of projectiles and powder, accuracy could be improved, yes.
 
Was going to buy some CCI Segmented Subsonics the other day to try out. They were running only 12 bucks a box of 50 before tax. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Went outside and gagged myself with a spoon instead.
 
Back
Top Bottom