- Location
- Central AB
I've been using Vihtavoury Tin Star for a number of different 44 Webleys. All versions of British Bulldogs, one H&R, one Iver Johnson, and one Belgium made.
44 Webley (or 442 Webley) according to Wikipedia used a 200gr bullet at 700fps, but I doubt that was ever achieved out of a 2 1/2" barrel of the bulldogs.
I found info on a fellow loading 205gr bullets and 18gr of fff, and getting 530fps, which apparently is close to original loadings.. I think this is a more realistic velocity.
The short 44 Bulldog round once available from the Old Western Scrounger apparently used a 168gr bullet at 390fps.
Using this information as a rough guide, I started working up loads using Vihtavoury Tin Star. I chose this powder due to its bulky properties, and a burn rate slower than Trail Boss. And thought I'd share my results.
Let me state that I do not make any recommendations on the appropriateness or safety of these loads in any other gun than mine. I have no way to check pressures, so only provide this for information of what I have done. Keep in mind, that bores of these guns can vary widely, and this can have profound affects on pressure and velocities. Although these loads appear safe in my guns, they may well not be in any other gun.
All loads used Hornady 180gr .430" lead cowboy bullets, full length 44 Russian brass (which my particular guns can chamber) and Dominion LP primers, with Vihtavoury Tin Star.
2.0 gr = poor and incomplete ignition
3.0 gr = 275fps
3.2 gr = 345fps
3.4 gr = 360fps
3.8 gr = 385fps
4.0 gr = 435fps
4.2 gr = 450fps
4.4 gr = 460fps
This is where I stopped increasing loads, and in fact wouldn't have case capacity to go much higher, even with the full length 44 Russian brass.
ADDED:
Just tested a 44 webley load in a Webley RIC. These have a slightly larger bore than my various other American and Belgian guns I've had. Jethunters 200gr heeled 44 webley bullets are a good fit.
Note that the RIC cannot chamber full length 44 Russian brass, so I was interested to see what difference using brass shortened to proper 44 webley length would make.
Powder used was Tin Star. Bullet is Jethunters 200gr heeled.
4.0gr - 635fps
Obviously the combination of less case capacity and longer barrel have a huge effect on velocities.
44 Webley (or 442 Webley) according to Wikipedia used a 200gr bullet at 700fps, but I doubt that was ever achieved out of a 2 1/2" barrel of the bulldogs.
I found info on a fellow loading 205gr bullets and 18gr of fff, and getting 530fps, which apparently is close to original loadings.. I think this is a more realistic velocity.
The short 44 Bulldog round once available from the Old Western Scrounger apparently used a 168gr bullet at 390fps.
Using this information as a rough guide, I started working up loads using Vihtavoury Tin Star. I chose this powder due to its bulky properties, and a burn rate slower than Trail Boss. And thought I'd share my results.
Let me state that I do not make any recommendations on the appropriateness or safety of these loads in any other gun than mine. I have no way to check pressures, so only provide this for information of what I have done. Keep in mind, that bores of these guns can vary widely, and this can have profound affects on pressure and velocities. Although these loads appear safe in my guns, they may well not be in any other gun.
All loads used Hornady 180gr .430" lead cowboy bullets, full length 44 Russian brass (which my particular guns can chamber) and Dominion LP primers, with Vihtavoury Tin Star.
2.0 gr = poor and incomplete ignition
3.0 gr = 275fps
3.2 gr = 345fps
3.4 gr = 360fps
3.8 gr = 385fps
4.0 gr = 435fps
4.2 gr = 450fps
4.4 gr = 460fps
This is where I stopped increasing loads, and in fact wouldn't have case capacity to go much higher, even with the full length 44 Russian brass.
ADDED:
Just tested a 44 webley load in a Webley RIC. These have a slightly larger bore than my various other American and Belgian guns I've had. Jethunters 200gr heeled 44 webley bullets are a good fit.
Note that the RIC cannot chamber full length 44 Russian brass, so I was interested to see what difference using brass shortened to proper 44 webley length would make.
Powder used was Tin Star. Bullet is Jethunters 200gr heeled.
4.0gr - 635fps
Obviously the combination of less case capacity and longer barrel have a huge effect on velocities.
Last edited:


















































