Hi there everyone!
I have just acquired my first big-bore antique (a .45-70 springfield trapdoor carbine...I also have a .45-70 rolling block project I'm working on but it will still be a while until she's ready) and I'm pretty excited!
I'm getting set up to load for the old girl, and am wondering if there is any collective experience you guys/gals would be able to share regarding whether or not it would be safe to use hodgdon's trapdoor load data (thinking either Varget or H4895...I have lots, and it looks like they're both slower than the 2400 powder mentioned in the sticky thread up top). What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience using Barnes Bullets in their antique rifles? Specifically I'm thinking of either the 300gr or 350gr TSX bullets or the .250 flat nosed tsx.
Anyone have any experience in this realm?
Thanks for sharing!
Brobee
I have just acquired my first big-bore antique (a .45-70 springfield trapdoor carbine...I also have a .45-70 rolling block project I'm working on but it will still be a while until she's ready) and I'm pretty excited!
I'm getting set up to load for the old girl, and am wondering if there is any collective experience you guys/gals would be able to share regarding whether or not it would be safe to use hodgdon's trapdoor load data (thinking either Varget or H4895...I have lots, and it looks like they're both slower than the 2400 powder mentioned in the sticky thread up top). What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience using Barnes Bullets in their antique rifles? Specifically I'm thinking of either the 300gr or 350gr TSX bullets or the .250 flat nosed tsx.
Anyone have any experience in this realm?
Thanks for sharing!
Brobee


















































