Good morning all,
I have recently been aquiring the components needed to reload a Winchester model 1886 that was made in 1891 chambered in 45-90 wcf.
This rifle has been in my Dad's possession since 1978 when he aquired it from his late father in law. When he received it, it had been hanging on the wall for a number of years and had a layer of dust protecting it.
My Dad has never fired it or knows when it was fired last, mostly due to the unavailability of loaded ammunition.
This is where I get involved. I would like to shoot this rifle, and more importantly, have my Dad shoot this rifle that he has owned for more than half his life.
My greatest concern is that we can shoot this rifle safely! We had it looked over by a gunsmith, who says it safe to shoot.
Originally it was obviously a black powder cartridge, I do not want to use black powder in this rifle due to the corrosiveness nature of bp. I would like to keep chamber pressures well below what this gun was designed for, which I believe was in the area of 28000 psi.
I have a set of Lyman 45-90 dies, 350 grain cast lead bullets at .459, RCBS 45 basic brass at 2.4 inches in length. I have made a dummy round and it chambers at 2.705. I had to burry the bullet well past the cannelure to get it to chamber, and therefore there is no crimp. I am not too concerned about the crimp because I dont plan on using the tube magazine.
This gets to my question...
With there being very little data available for 45-90, what do you guys use for powder and how much?
I have read over the Hodgdon site data for 45-70. From what I understand, an equal bullet, and powder in the longer 2.4" case should result in lower chamber pressure, but how much? I have also checked some older manuals I found online in pdf format but there wasn't any 45-90 data present.
I am partial to using H4895 because I already have some. I have ranged my starting point at some where between 35-40 grains. Again as I have mentioned, I would like to keep the chamber pressure in check and bullet speeds around 1200-1400 fps.
Any help, or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Todd
I have recently been aquiring the components needed to reload a Winchester model 1886 that was made in 1891 chambered in 45-90 wcf.
This rifle has been in my Dad's possession since 1978 when he aquired it from his late father in law. When he received it, it had been hanging on the wall for a number of years and had a layer of dust protecting it.
My Dad has never fired it or knows when it was fired last, mostly due to the unavailability of loaded ammunition.
This is where I get involved. I would like to shoot this rifle, and more importantly, have my Dad shoot this rifle that he has owned for more than half his life.
My greatest concern is that we can shoot this rifle safely! We had it looked over by a gunsmith, who says it safe to shoot.
Originally it was obviously a black powder cartridge, I do not want to use black powder in this rifle due to the corrosiveness nature of bp. I would like to keep chamber pressures well below what this gun was designed for, which I believe was in the area of 28000 psi.
I have a set of Lyman 45-90 dies, 350 grain cast lead bullets at .459, RCBS 45 basic brass at 2.4 inches in length. I have made a dummy round and it chambers at 2.705. I had to burry the bullet well past the cannelure to get it to chamber, and therefore there is no crimp. I am not too concerned about the crimp because I dont plan on using the tube magazine.
This gets to my question...
With there being very little data available for 45-90, what do you guys use for powder and how much?
I have read over the Hodgdon site data for 45-70. From what I understand, an equal bullet, and powder in the longer 2.4" case should result in lower chamber pressure, but how much? I have also checked some older manuals I found online in pdf format but there wasn't any 45-90 data present.
I am partial to using H4895 because I already have some. I have ranged my starting point at some where between 35-40 grains. Again as I have mentioned, I would like to keep the chamber pressure in check and bullet speeds around 1200-1400 fps.
Any help, or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Todd


















































