455 webley info

What Mooncoon said. My Webley has a STRONG PREFERENCE for the original style bullets. Oddly, my S&W .455 prefers solid bullets intended for the .45 Colt, and won't shoot the HB bullets worth s#*t. My New Service will shoot either one, hardly any difference. I use quite a bit of the old DC Co. .455 Colt brass, along with the shorter Fiochhi .455 Mk.II brass.
 
My 1917 S & W likes the lee cast bullet designed for the Ruger Old Army.
As does my Webley. These bullets are cast wheel weights with a little bit of tin added. Brass is Dominion.
 
Well my Webley MKI** likes the long HB webley bullets best to... but i dont care what the gun likes i want to cut full caliber holes in stuff so it bleeds out fast... i meen cut nice round holes in my targets.:D
So i use 250 Gr Keith SWC lead bullets sized .454.
I been shooting them for 4 years and they still group within 3 inchs at 25 yds thats with my my 4 inch barrel in my 6 inch barrel they shoot much better and 2 inch or less groups are doable.
 
Dingus, You think much like I do.... I mean who really wants to shoot that wimpy RN bullet? I just wish I could find a HP type bullet for it... I's still looking for a legal loophole where I can hunt with it ;)
 
I like to use an alloy which approximates the original War Department mix of 20/1 (lead/tin) .... I figured it out once based on the tin content of wheelweight, and then blended a bunch of alloy with pure lead and wheelweight mixed. (I'd have to look up the specific data now ....)

Dingus & Tactical870 -

I dunno ...... that "wimpy' 265gr RN bullet, cast in the above alloy, seems to mushroom just fine for me - ;)

455comp2_lores.jpg
 
Where did i say the Orignal RN HB bullet was Wimpy :confused:

I just perfer the Keith type semi wad cutter based on Elmer keith tests they were better at killing huge Bulls than any RN bullets.

Webley Did have a Man stopper bullet that was a WC type bullet to for awhile i think they stoped useing them because they were devastateing.
Theres a guy selling them in the USA if anyone wants to buy them.

the 265 gr RN HB webley bullets aint moveing fast enough to do a mushroom like your showing in your pics grant on a soft target.
the fact you shoot a solid objects with no give any lead bullet will splater like that.

Shoot a RN webley bullet into a Dead donkey or dead deer as a test and i bet unless ya hit a bone the bullets are not mushroomed like your pics.
 
Dingus:

You didn't say it .... my apologies! I guess I improperly lumped you in with Tactical870 because the post where he said it was addressed to you ..... :redface:

The bullets in my image were fired over a fairly light load, against a mild steel plate. However, having examined many bullets of varying hardness fired against steel by myself and others in numerous calibers and loadings in cowboy action shooting - where there was little left except a thin base disc, the rest of the bullet having fragmented or otherwise "gone away" - what really impressed me with these soft alloy 265gr bullets was the impressive adhesion, which kept the bullet together to produce such impressive mushrooming .....

I have also recovered these same bullets from well-compacted damp clay, having fired them with a stiffer load, and those too were very impressively mushroomed, albeit only to about half the diameter of the ones shown above. (Afraid I didn't drag any of them home and take pictures of them, however. :( )
 
Dingus:

You didn't say it .... my apologies! I guess I improperly lumped you in with Tactical870 because the post where he said it was addressed to you ..... :redface:

The bullets in my image were fired over a fairly light load, against a mild steel plate. However, having examined many bullets of varying hardness fired against steel by myself and others in numerous calibers and loadings in cowboy action shooting - where there was little left except a thin base disc, the rest of the bullet having fragmented or otherwise "gone away" - what really impressed me with these soft alloy 265gr bullets was the impressive adhesion, which kept the bullet together to produce such impressive mushrooming .....

I have also recovered these same bullets from well-compacted damp clay, having fired them with a stiffer load, and those too were very impressively mushroomed, albeit only to about half the diameter of the ones shown above. (Afraid I didn't drag any of them home and take pictures of them, however. :( )

No Worries.
I think the Webley 265 gr RD HB bullets are more accurate but i just think the Keiths are better for what i want is all.
I think if you look in the Webley books you will see the Webley Manstopper bullets were a WC type so they knew back then that WCs were deadly bullets to.
 
I've got no problem with the way the RN bullets shoot but it you've seen my legalese post you'll see I'm trying to find a legal way to hunt with an antique handgun. I'd just like a little better stopping power than the traditional RN if I do succeed in finding a loophole....
 
Finally got my reloading supplies all rounded up. Should have the last of the stuff in the next couple days. Any recommendations for loading? BP only in a non-nitro proofed MKII? It would be nice if there was a non corrosive option so immediate cleaning isn't required....
 
There was a load for a .455 with blue dot on here a while back and I don't quite remember where. Anyone remember how many grains for blue dot? it was 5 or 6 if I recall correctly. Thanks
 
There was a load for a .455 with blue dot on here a while back and I don't quite remember where. Anyone remember how many grains for blue dot? it was 5 or 6 if I recall correctly. Thanks

This is from www .handloads.com. Probably (!) intended for a more modern Webley, but maybe you can scale it back...

265gr HBRN, 6.8 gr Blue Dot
velocity: 770 fps
OAL: 1.245"
primer: CCI 300
Pressure: 12,600 ?? (units not shown)
Suggested starting load: 6.1 gr
Source: Alliant
 
Back
Top Bottom