577/450 Martini Henry Lee Dies?

budman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
S.W Bantario
I have a Martini Henry MK IV, I was looking at these Lee Dies.
ht tp://leeprecision.com/577-450-mh-3-di-steel.html

A member here sent me Lathe plans to turn brass into
shells. Should I make the neck thin enough to crimp the
round below and at the edge for the bullet?

Has anyone used these dies before,are they good?
 
I use the Lee dies for 577-450
BUT
- I use .480 Ruger pistol die to neck size
- then use a small punch to remove the old primer
- then seat the projectile with the Lee 577-450 die
- I paper patch usually so no crimp for me
The Lee resizing/de-capping die really overworks the brass. At $5.00 a piece you are going to want to anneal and neck size only. They last forever that way :D
 
Very interesting on the resize die. But I was going to use turned brass
3/4" rod to make my shells. I haven't turned one yet,and I am yet to
slug my barrel for the exact bullet diameter needed for my particular
barrel. My gun smith had an original 577/450 round unfired.tested my
action,he is keen to try it out as well. He said I can now go hunt
elephants!! LOL

But should I crimp my rounds despite the paper patch?
 
I have a Martini Henry MK IV, I was looking at these Lee Dies.
ht tp://leeprecision.com/577-450-mh-3-di-steel.html

A member here sent me Lathe plans to turn brass into
shells. Should I make the neck thin enough to crimp the
round below and at the edge for the bullet?

Has anyone used these dies before,are they good?
Can you share these plans ? I want to make an insert. Seen a couple on the internet where guys claim to use 22, 45 and 410 shot shells ?
 
I think it would be like throwing a baseball thru a garbage can....lol. The 22 would not damage the inside of the barrel anyways and definitely not get jammed. Id be a little leery of the 45 if it can be done?
 
You would be better with the 45 adapter to shoot pistol rounds
through a 577/450 shell breech adapter. The throat of the shell
would carry the bullet forward into the rifling, like a short shell
in a long cylinder.
 
You would be better with the 45 adapter to shoot pistol rounds
through a 577/450 shell breech adapter. The throat of the shell
would carry the bullet forward into the rifling, like a short shell
in a long cylinder.
I'm trying to find the link again...I think it was 45 long Colt ?
 
Very interesting on the resize die. But I was going to use turned brass
3/4" rod to make my shells. I haven't turned one yet,and I am yet to
slug my barrel for the exact bullet diameter needed for my particular
barrel. My gun smith had an original 577/450 round unfired.tested my
action,he is keen to try it out as well. He said I can now go hunt
elephants!! LOL

But should I crimp my rounds despite the paper patch?

I like to set my dies to smooth out the flare and put a very light crimp.
 
I use the Lee dies for 577-450
BUT
- I use .480 Ruger pistol die to neck size
- then use a small punch to remove the old primer
- then seat the projectile with the Lee 577-450 die
- I paper patch usually so no crimp for me
The Lee resizing/de-capping die really overworks the brass. At $5.00 a piece you are going to want to anneal and neck size only. They last forever that way :D

why didn't I think of this.....

I got to find me a 480 ruger die now.
 
I use the Lee dies for 577-450
BUT
- I use .480 Ruger pistol die to neck size
- then use a small punch to remove the old primer
- then seat the projectile with the Lee 577-450 die
- I paper patch usually so no crimp for me
The Lee resizing/de-capping die really overworks the brass. At $5.00 a piece you are going to want to anneal and neck size only. They last forever that way :D
Exactly except I crimp mine lightly
 
Back
Top Bottom