.577 snider ammo, can you help me?

I like the idea of pouring molten beeswax and olive oil into the cavity of the mini ball. One thing I did notice about the mini ball in the video was that it appears to be the american version. I have both an original US mini ball and a british version almost certainly from a snider rifle. The british versiion has a much thicker edge to the skirt and the edge measures about .1" thick while the US version comes to almost a knife edge.

On the subject of filling the cavity with lube, I did recover one of my slugs from the snow a couple of years ago and the cavity was completely clean for a slug that had only traveled about 30 yards from the muzzle. Lube in my case was 50/50 of beeswax and bear grease.

cheers mooncoon
 
well I did it with 28Ga, but apparently it is not a good idea to use 28Ga.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwONlTs7tWs
[youtube]rwONlTs7tWs[/youtube]

If you follow this video with your 24Ga you should be good to go. I am now using cut down brass for mine.

its a very dangerous idea to use 28ga any pressure around the shell will get to the breech block and make it open not good
 
I like the idea of pouring molten beeswax and olive oil into the cavity of the mini ball. One thing I did notice about the mini ball in the video was that it appears to be the american version. I have both an original US mini ball and a british version almost certainly from a snider rifle. The british versiion has a much thicker edge to the skirt and the edge measures about .1" thick while the US version comes to almost a knife edge.

On the subject of filling the cavity with lube, I did recover one of my slugs from the snow a couple of years ago and the cavity was completely clean for a slug that had only traveled about 30 yards from the muzzle. Lube in my case was 50/50 of beeswax and bear grease.

cheers mooncoon

I concur on that one, I use straight beeswax dripped off of a candle. And they are accurate so the HB is doing it's job as designed.
 
Not sure if it was mentioned but I believe that some people have used body filler for the bullet cavity.

Re lube in the base, this would require a lube barrier I would think.

Some guy report good results with external lube using Udderly Smooth ie dip the bullet in it before chambering
 
Back
Top Bottom