...

Personally I'd just apply a rust preventative like Fluid Film and leave it like it is.

If you do go for a hot blue, be sure to tell the shop to be damned careful not to screw it up by polishing off the sharp edges, stamps, and markings. Way too many nice old guns been screwed up by over-polishing. Do the absolute bare minimum polishing or buffing, or even avoid it altogether if you can.
 
Personally I'd just apply a rust preventative like Fluid Film and leave it like it is.

If you do go for a hot blue, be sure to tell the shop to be damned careful not to screw it up by polishing off the sharp edges, stamps, and markings. Way too many nice old guns been screwed up by over-polishing. Do the absolute bare minimum polishing or buffing, or even avoid it altogether if you can.

Yup I hear you there...
 
"...This is my sidearm for bush..." No such thing in Canada. Unless you managed to get a Wilderness carry permit. All restricted laws apply to antique handguns except the permit.
Isn't worth much as it is, so it really doesn't matter what you to it. I'd just cold blue it or duracoat it.
 
clean it up best you can and then blue it. You don't want to loose the markings that prove it is vey old and not restricted
 
"...This is my sidearm for bush..." No such thing in Canada. Unless you managed to get a Wilderness carry permit. All restricted laws apply to antique handguns except the permit.
Isn't worth much as it is, so it really doesn't matter what you to it. I'd just cold blue it or duracoat it.

You may fire the antique revolver anywhere you can a non restricted. There also have been members on this board stoped by officers in the bush and it was not an issue.

Don't do anything stupid, don't "conceal" it or spook passer bys, keep your paperwork with you and you should be ok.
 
"...This is my sidearm for bush..." No such thing in Canada. Unless you managed to get a Wilderness carry permit. All restricted laws apply to antique handguns except the permit.
Isn't worth much as it is, so it really doesn't matter what you to it. I'd just cold blue it or duracoat it.

Do you ever post any correct information? I'm starting to think you might not be playing with a full deck

Back to the question at hand, I would use wax and, protect it... That's it, that's all.
 
These revolvers were originally finished "in the white", which means they were left bare metal and not blued.
Johnson's Paste Wax if you can find it, or otherwise a carnuba automotive paste wax. It works well for sealing wooden grips too.
Another product I've had very good results from is Fluid Film.
 
Last edited:
"...This is my sidearm for bush..." No such thing in Canada. Unless you managed to get a Wilderness carry permit. All restricted laws apply to antique handguns except the permit.
Isn't worth much as it is, so it really doesn't matter what you to it. I'd just cold blue it or duracoat it.

That's the single worst piece of advice I've ever seen from you sunray, and that's saying something. Duracoating this $1500+ antique would lower the value by half and would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

With all due respect, you are lowering yourself to troll level with posts like this. IIRC you have been down this road before and suffered the consequences. Clever people learn from the past.
 
Last edited:
"...This is my sidearm for bush..." No such thing in Canada. Unless you managed to get a Wilderness carry permit. All restricted laws apply to antique handguns except the permit.
Isn't worth much as it is, so it really doesn't matter what you to it. I'd just cold blue it or duracoat it.

maybe you should shut the #### up and not talk about things you have no clue about...like everything relating to firearms, hmm? There are NO laws relating to antiques except using them in commission of a crime, not having them chambered in 11 specific calibers, being manufactured pre 1898, transporting them in an opaque case, and technical concealment (grey area as they arent legally firearms)
 
Yeah I have to put another vote in for Fluid film, its amazing stuff that keeps metal away from all the nasties including the crap on your hands.

On another plus note, it keeps BP fouling nice and soft because it's non Petroleum based, also non toxic as well.
 
I've never heard of this Fluid film. Where would I look for it. Sounds like a handy thing to have.

Chinadian Tire carries it. It's like $14.00 for a Can but it goes a long ways. It bubbles and penetrates pores, cracks ect. and fills them with lanolin wax. It does not dry out or easily wash off.

Just give it a good coat, lightly wipe down and there will be enough of a film left on the metal to protect it from moisture, acid's and salts. It has decent to good lubrication properties as well.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom