9mm Ammo

I ran some numbers a while ago and I can reload a box of 50 9mm for 9 bucks or so. A box of BDX runs 11.50 or so. To get back the 700 bucks or so you spend on a progressive press with dies etc was something like 14,000 rounds. If you reload .45 and cast your own then it pays for itself much faster but if you're only shooting 9mm then imo, it isn't worth buying all the gear. I am saving all my 9mm brass though for the day when I buy a .45 and a progressive kit.

Should do the math on .44mag and .38spc with bullet barn cast and shotgun powder with range brass!

Wish BDX would do a run of cast 145ish grain 9mm "gallery" ammo... Great stuff for plinking
 
I have all my reloading equipment, but its not that big of a cost saver to load 9mm. I could get 1000rds loaded for about $270 (AE). to buy just 1000 jacketed bullets I would be $220, thats with out primer cost which is another $40, and powder cost. Plus the time to load them. I love to reload but I have other hobbies that need attention too!

You could buy CMJ bullets for half the price of jacketed ones

SB
 
I ran some numbers a while ago and I can reload a box of 50 9mm for 9 bucks or so. A box of BDX runs 11.50 or so. To get back the 700 bucks or so you spend on a progressive press with dies etc was something like 14,000 rounds. If you reload .45 and cast your own then it pays for itself much faster but if you're only shooting 9mm then imo, it isn't worth buying all the gear. I am saving all my 9mm brass though for the day when I buy a .45 and a progressive kit.

Or cast your own 9mm boolits. With free wheel weights, I'm able to get my cost down to $2.50/box. I don't dump more than 150rds per range visit nowadays and it costs me more in gas to go the range. haha

I think my Dillon 650 set up is now paid off for 9mm... 44mag (cast my own too) is more than paid off too. However, 223 is a different story. I probably have to shoot 3000rds of that to pay off all the accessories. I only shot maybe 200 rounds in 1 year.

At the end, it's time vs saving $$$. Casting is the best route to go in order to save hoards of $$$. With casting, I actually save $$$ instead of allowing me to shoot more. My only problem now is finding a steady source of free lead or if someone wants to sell 5G buckets of WW to me for $25, I'll take it all!
 
If you give the barrel a scrub with a bronze brush/bore snake every 100-200 rounds it will shoot lead with no issues. Trust me there are many shooters that use lead with polygonally rifled barrels.

In my 45acp Glock21sf, I don't even do that much. I think I shoot roughly 50% lead, and I last cleaned it, well, a long time ago, to say the least.
 
In my 45acp Glock21sf, I don't even do that much. I think I shoot roughly 50% lead, and I last cleaned it, well, a long time ago, to say the least.

This is not news to me... I know guys that shoot theirs like any other gun. When offering advice I tend to err on the side of caution though.
 
SFRC theammosource.com sells WOLF ammunition-should be pretty cheap.

Otherwise MFS ammo is in comparison much cheaper at LANZ shooting supplies, and I've never had a jam or anything with it-its really good ammo.
 
I have all my reloading equipment, but its not that big of a cost saver to load 9mm. I could get 1000rds loaded for about $270 (AE). to buy just 1000 jacketed bullets I would be $220, thats with out primer cost which is another $40, and powder cost. Plus the time to load them. I love to reload but I have other hobbies that need attention too!

My previous post was way off on the powder price/ here is my edit

powder 1.25 cents based on 1lb @ $25 is 7000gr/3.5gr per cartridge is 2000 rounds
primer 4 cents
cmj 9mm from Marstar about 13 cents shipped

totals 18 cents a shot or $9 a box of 50 for complete metal jacket

If you can find lead for under $70/1000 then you'd be around 12cents a shot or $12/100

Thanks
W
 
Last edited:
I have all my reloading equipment, but its not that big of a cost saver to load 9mm. I could get 1000rds loaded for about $270 (AE). to buy just 1000 jacketed bullets I would be $220, thats with out primer cost which is another $40, and powder cost. Plus the time to load them. I love to reload but I have other hobbies that need attention too!

Huh?

My FINAL cost (including taxes shift and shaxes tift) is $150/1000rds when I load my own ammo using quality plated bullets. Bullets, powder, primers and taxes in (I pick up range brass, still free). Well, I didn't count in electricity to run tumbler thou ;)

I'm not gonna go with lead bullets unless I cast my own bullets.

Find yourself cheap/reasonable components' suppliers!
 
I think your being way too cautious. Casting and shooting lead bullets is just not that dangerous.

Lead bullets are FAR more nasty then even the cheap plated bullets. Just go to an indoor range and stack a mag with two plated and then 2 lead. And then notice how much harder it is to see the target through the lead cloud. Even with a .22 there is a HUGE difference between shooting plated bullets and just lead.

It is the lead salts in that vapor cloud that are bad for ya.
 
Lead bullets are FAR more nasty then even the cheap plated bullets. Just go to an indoor range and stack a mag with two plated and then 2 lead. And then notice how much harder it is to see the target through the lead cloud. Even with a .22 there is a HUGE difference between shooting plated bullets and just lead.

It is the lead salts in that vapor cloud that are bad for ya.

That is not a lead cloud your seeing but smoke from the burning of bullet lube and it is not lead bullets but lead in your primers that your are exposed to at a poorly ventilated indoor range. It does not matter if your using lead or plated bullets.

As for shooting outdoors it is a non-issue.
 
"I wish BDX would answer an email."

Is the service at BDX that bad? Ive read alot of threads about emails going unanswered and no one returning phone messages. How long do they take to get back to you?
 
Lead bullets are FAR more nasty then even the cheap plated bullets. Just go to an indoor range and stack a mag with two plated and then 2 lead. And then notice how much harder it is to see the target through the lead cloud. Even with a .22 there is a HUGE difference between shooting plated bullets and just lead.

It is the lead salts in that vapor cloud that are bad for ya.

You don't have much experience with ammo other than factory do you??? Lead can be pretty much as clean as anything out there I unless you're licking lead paint off a crib or something.

We have far more immediately dangerous things in our surroundings to get all twisted over.


blake
 
Back
Top Bottom