Antique 1849 Colt- New to me.

Musketfire,

My 49 is definitely not pristine.

This is what pristine looks like. (Not mine)

31091_01.jpg


The 49 shown below has a decent amount of original blue remaining...mine does not.

colt-1849-revolver-pocket-2.jpg

colt-1849-revolver-pocket-12.jpg


David
 
Hello Gentlemen!

Well after a long work week I came home and gave her a pull and the barrel came free!

I was going to get to taking her further apart and document it...Then the battery died on the digital camera, so im going to stop until the battery is charged up.
As I said earlier this is not a opportunity likely to come around often so I want to document the entire first stripping and cleaning.

So here shes is, perhaps the 1st time the barrel has pulled free in who knows how long??!!

She looks real solid so far!




DSC03092_zpsd7af1446.jpg
 
Here's a few more pictures after a small amount of steel wool and wiping.
I tried the nipples and they will need more soaking frozen tight but they are still there not broken off stubbs!! giving me a surface to grip on, the trigger screw is free but the remaining frame and grip screws are also frozen.

Good + bore and the cylinder looks stout enough before a serious chamber scrubbing, nice markings are present.

The foot that locks the cylinder in the bed of the frame doesn't move and needs replacing, action works otherwise and lines up well.


Beyond the obvious interesting factor, the main thing that strikes me is the quality of every single part, I bet I could dry it out, load it and it would fire right now.

I am very thankful to have a chance to work on her, and I aim to fix her right.


DSC03109_zpsbb09f38b.jpg

DSC03102_zps2b6214ea.jpg

DSC03104_zpse43ddf6a.jpg

DSC03105_zpsb8f5cd03.jpg

DSC03110_zps6de0f05c.jpg
 
Last edited:
Was that gun actually involved in the cabin fire ie: was it heated up enough to burn the grips off and ruin the mainspring??
I know how you feel working on your gun I really enjoyed working on mine as well,still haven't figured out how to tighten the arbour to the frame but I am sure I will think of something.
 
The arbour of yours needs tightening eh....Ummm, well aside from welding the socket in and retapping it, you could hammer a sheet of lead paper thin and wrap the threads of the arbour in it and reaf er in there....I cant see that ever coming loose, maybe some lock tite?? there is also plumbers thread tape...It might work just dont let anyone see you do it ha ha ha.

My ol girl sure was in the fire and is blackened to show it, Mind you I wasnt there but I imagine the grips were burned off, then a fella in the 40's-50's made the new grips.

Im torn, do I get a grip blank, a antique one or do I make a set from the old moose rack in the basement??

I sent a message to a gentleman in the states I know , Im hoping he will set me up with a set of springs ,screws ,nipples a wedge and whatnot for either a good price or in trade for some work??
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom