Antique Letters kept on your file - proof

So question is, are they lying to you or just didnt know any better?. I have difficulty believing the second scenario.....

Personally I think she had an idea that info was kept on record, but figured she'd get yelled at for "keeping antique paperwork on my file" so figured it was easier to just deny it and have a reasonably calm day at work. I don't really blame her, since she's not the one implementing policy, or has any control over what goes on, and saying yes would likely result in getting grief from both the caller and her boss.
 
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I saw an access to info request, the owner had written a letter to the minister of public safety making specific complaints about the RCMP, it was forwarded on to the specific department of the RCMP for comments and response.

The ministers reply letter was mostly a direct quote of the RCMP reply....

It appeared that the RCMP were forwarded an UN redacted copy of the complaint letter including the complainents contact info.
 
Earlier this year I found out that they were keeping info in a similar way. Called and asked if they kept the info on file and was told they did not. Called back again and got a different tech, told her that I'd lost my antique paperwork and wanted another copy. She asked for the name of the gun, I gave it, she pulled up the file with the serial number etc etc.
They are required by law to keep info on all guns removed (exported, destroyed, deacted ect) from the registry for a period of iirc 7 years minimum.
 
I have also received a FOI request from a few years ago. I was a little surprised to see copies of letters & emails that I have sent to government ministers regarding Canada's gun laws.

That is a common concern with many who have done FOI requests.
Methinks they would have a very large stack because I have been writing letters to politicians about the gun laws since 1977....
 
They are required by law to keep info on all guns removed (exported, destroyed, deacted ect) from the registry for a period of iirc 7 years minimum.

Bill C-19 suspends that requirement with section 29(1), (2), and (3).
This is the section that requires the records to be destroyed and suspends other legislation in regards to records in the specific case of registered guns.

Bottom line, parliament made the law to keep records and from time to time Parliament can suspend that law in specific instances.
 
Back
Top Bottom