Antique Winchester 1873?

Well, if in doubt, remove the forearm and mag tube, and the last two digits of the year are usually on the bottom of the barrel, near the chamber.

darn. looks like the dad is going to hang on to it for a few more months, if not years. I think I'll be able to get it eventually! Thanks for your help everyone. We now know a lot about the piece. Take care.
 
Thanks Meanea and Bittermansbro, I was unaware of the new more accurate records. I always wondered about the high numbers claimed for first year of production 1894's, 1600 odd sounds more realistic as I think the rifle only began production in the fall of that year.
I also had a 94 in .32 special S/N 189,### that Madis claimed was produced in 1900 when the .32 special wasn't introduced until 1902. Now I see that it dates 1903, makes a lot more sense.
 
Mike, I had the same issues. When I found reference to the new data on a forum somewhere I went searching and found the info I quoted. Like any good Winchester guy, I put most of my stock in the Madis numbers. Needless to say things were more easily explained when it came to why my letters were usually recorded a manufacture date a couple years later than the Madis numbers said.

Anyhow, its interesting!
 
Back
Top Bottom