Any advice since "AK variants" are banned?

SVD and SVT both fire 7.62x54R. AK, Type 81 and SKS fire 7.62x39.

There are many who have modified their SKS to look different. It starts with easy drop in stocks which some look quite nice, like the fab defense stock, the Promag Archangel stock or the chassis from TNA.

You could also buy the Dragunov stock for SKS and paint some areas in wooden colour, then have a siderail with SVD scope mounted. There must be a picture on here somewhere, looks quite nice.

Or adapt an AK underfolder stock to the SKS - check youtube.
 
I vote for the SKS in a TAPCO sustem. They turn up occasionally on GP or LGS. I ran 3 diff SKSs in the same TAPCO with 6x T-mags. Finally 'grew up' and changed my 'focus'. ATI is a good "2nd placer".
 
Hello, I have recently just acquired my PAL. I have been shooting for a while with friends and family so I'm not a total newbie to firearms, however I'd say I'm mostly only familiar with the basics.

Now that I have a PAL I'm looking to start collecting my own firearms. I am a huge fan of Russian, Soviet and Eastern Bloc firearms like the Mosin Nagant and the SKS. But one of my all-time favourite guns is the SVD Dragunov. Because the Liberals have decided that just because this gun looks like a big bad scary AK, it should for some reason be prohibited. Though mechanically I wouldn't say there's a huge difference between the SKS and SVD. It's just moronic that these firearms and many more cool semi-auto centrefire rifles are banned, but at this point I'm just preaching to the choir LOL.

Anyway, I've spent a fair amount of time trying to find alternatives to the SVD, but I haven't come up with much. Firearms like the Type 81 SR, SVTs, or the Berkut 2M1, etc., etc., etc., are all either prohibited, insanely hard to find, or way too expensive.

My question is this: Would anybody here have any good ideas for alternatives to the SVD Dragunov or know of any way to modify an SKS to resemble/operate like an SVD? Like, would it be possible for an SKS to eject from the side, or could I even manage to get an SKS with a metal action block and then just get the SVD stock and heat shield grip?

Sorry if this is a naive post, but thank you for taking the time to read this.


-TheLocalGunNut
When your government makes you a fiat criminal, act accordingly.
There are 10's of thousands of these NON-RESTRICTED rifles in Canada.
1791510968900.png
 
SVD and SVT both fire 7.62x54R. AK, Type 81 and SKS fire 7.62x39.

There are many who have modified their SKS to look different. It starts with easy drop in stocks which some look quite nice, like the fab defense stock, the Promag Archangel stock or the chassis from TNA.

You could also buy the Dragunov stock for SKS and paint some areas in wooden colour, then have a siderail with SVD scope mounted. There must be a picture on here somewhere, looks quite nice.

Or adapt an AK underfolder stock to the SKS - check youtube.
This is very helpful. Thank you.
 
I thought u were getting great accuracy out of this.... like 2moa when u posted it on Reddit ?
Nope never said that. If someone said they are getting 2MOA out of a similar platform let me know who it is so I can pick their brain lol. The mounting interface substitutes the hammer and trigger pins so I’ve been noticing issues with my trigger reset and a slight bounce in the optics rail when firing.

Even after applying blue loc tite liberally and tightening the #### out of the set screws that fasten the mount to the gun I can’t seem to get it quite right. I suspect this is a fitment issue stemming from my hammer/trigger pins not being fully seated in the opposite side of the receiver. The M78 having a thicker RPK-spec receiver is the likely cause in my mind.

I’ve also been noticing slight POI shift and have more or less had to max out the vertical position of my reticle in the glass.
 
Nope never said that. If someone said they are getting 2MOA out of a similar platform let me know who it is so I can pick their brain lol. The mounting interface substitutes the hammer and trigger pins so I’ve been noticing issues with my trigger reset and a slight bounce in the optics rail when firing.

Even after applying blue loc tite liberally and tightening the #### out of the set screws that fasten the mount to the gun I can’t seem to get it quite right. I suspect this is a fitment issue stemming from my hammer/trigger pins not being fully seated in the opposite side of the receiver. The M78 having a thicker RPK-spec receiver is the likely cause in my mind.

I’ve also been noticing slight POI shift and have more or less had to max out the vertical position of my reticle in the glass.

Guess it was this fellow! Claimed 4.5" groups at 200m with surplus .308.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/s/2wTOtmqRdj
 
Boy oh boy. You were NOT kidding about that price tag. Well I guess we'll just have to grit our teeth and keep fighting to get our gun "privileges" back cause I can't justify that price.
there are still Valmets that show up in the EE for $5000.00 or less,one just sold a few days ago,keep an eye on the EE and you could snag one,dissregard the idiots asking 10 and 15 grand for them,LOL.
 
I would be reluctant to purchase anything along those lines ,if its not prohibited now it could be in the near future
but most people buying these things are NOT to concern about more libtard bans,they dont plan on giving them up anyways,no matter what libturds say,that's why they dont mind paying up for them,
 
Guess it was this fellow! Claimed 4.5" groups at 200m with surplus .308.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/s/2wTOtmqRdj

Interesting. I would suspect the receiver harmonics differ substantially between stamped and milled receiver guns, with the milled receiver being substantially more rigid and less prone to flexion during firing.

Haven’t seen many stamped receiver M78s in the wild. Overwhelmingly, it seems like the vast majority that made it to North America were milled.
 
I think there is a svd style of stock available for the sks but can’t remember who makes it
Otherwise hope our laws change and then get one of those type 81 look alike ones or buy one under the table somewhere
I had a sweet heavy duty Draganov style stoic on my first SKS it was made by ATI but built like a tank.

Might be a nice place to start just to get a little close
 
it’s gotta be stamped with hunter or m78, pure evil otherwise

My Valmet Hunter that I owned in the 1980's was never stamped either!

Nor was it stamped M88 which was the model number in the manual that it came with.


1
 
Seems ripe for a human rights commission investigation. Use their own weapons against them lol.
There is NOT a Human Rights Commission nor tribunal in this country today that would side with a white man who was wronged because of his skin color .. not a single one! All these “commissions” are staffed with left wing activists indoctrinated in this errant ideology.. they are in essence biased bigots themselves
 
Back
Top Bottom