Anyone shoot Matchlocks or wheellocks?

strange that the closest shooter primes before he loads. I am also going to have to watch the clip a few more times to see how he gets the slow match from the container behind his back into his left hand ready to put in the serpeant. Also the first shot he appeared to load powder and ball separately while for the second shot, both powder and ball appeared to be in the apostle

cheers mooncoon
 
Just recently came across a movie "Alatriste" with Viggo Mortensen. Movie interesting to watch, and lots of matchlocks and wheellocks in action - come to think of it, it is a first time that I have seen wheellocks in a movie.
 
I recently traded for a matchlock similar to the ones in the video clip. A bit of a learning experience; the slow match that I used was braided cotton beading soaked in saltpeter. Even with the saltpeter it did not stay lit very well. Also it turned out to be a mistake to gradually ease it into the powder and several taps into the priming was more effective in igniting the prime. I tried buying some more braided cotton but everything is now nylon. I tried unraveling one strand from 1/4" hemp rope and soaking that in saltpeter; it seems to burn better than the braided cotton and I am not convinced that the saltpeter made much difference in keeping the slow match burning.
The gun seemed quite accurate but the stock is fairly short and with your thumb in the notch in front of the comb, it is fairly easy to get smacked in the beak with the knuckle of your thumb

cheers mooncoon
 
Going through my odds and ends today. Inspected the match lock I made years ago. (Just the lock). It is the late style, as used in the latter part of the 17th century.
Also have a blank cut out for an earlier fishtail style gun. Really should make another one, for myself. Last one went to the fed. gov't for an historic site. Too darn many projects.
 
I had the pleasure years ago, of shooting a wheel lock pistol hand built by Taylor Sapergia from Prince George (shot it in Terrace) - I'll never forget that. What a piece of art.

I googled "Taylor Sapergia" - wow !!!!! - old school master craft - what beauties. In return - google "Bolek wheellocks" - most of audio on the yahoo links unfortunately are not in english, but just watch all the same and admire the craftsmanship.
 
Yes I've seen those - that fellow from Bolek (assuming the same guy) has posted on the Traditional Muzzleoader forum. Something else!

I've shot several of Taylor's builds, I used to know a fellow (now deceased) who was good friends with him. At that time, I didn't fully appreciate what a talented and respected builder he is! Just knew they were beautifully done and very accurate. That wheel lock was just amazing though.

I googled "Taylor Sapergia" - wow !!!!! - old school master craft - what beauties. In return - google "Bolek wheellocks" - most of audio on the yahoo links unfortunately are not in english, but just watch all the same and admire the craftsmanship.
 
Just recently came across a movie "Alatriste" with Viggo Mortensen. Movie interesting to watch, and lots of matchlocks and wheellocks in action - come to think of it, it is a first time that I have seen wheellocks in a movie.

If I'm not mistaken, Kenneth Branagh-as Dr. Frankenstein-uses one in "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" from the mid '90s.
 
A matchlock shows up occasional at the Ridgedale black powder Sunday shoots.

Hopefully by sometime near the end of this year there'll be another one here in Chilliwack which might just show up at Ridgedale now and then. I'm itching to put something together along this line. I'm at the point of studying the styles at the moment.

And apparently I need to start looking for pantaloons as well..... :d
 
Back
Top Bottom