I recently acquired a .577 Snider Enfield (Mk. II*) and would like to shoot it. I've been researching how to source ammunition for it since I'm COMPLETELY NEW to this and I have no experience or equipment for reloading. I know what you're going to say: "Should have just bought a Mosin, dummy." I know, but the Snider Enfield has sentimental value and I'd really like to be able to shoot it. In an ideal world, I would like to find someone from whom I can purchase some loaded cartridges that are ready to shoot. I know my chances are slim, but does anyone know of any suppliers in Canada that sell loaded Snider ammo?
In the likely chance that I need to load my own ammo, I'll have to find suppliers for the necessary parts. It looks like I can get a Lee press and dies for .577 without too much trouble, and black powder and primers are available all over the place. I can find at least one Canadian supplier of .577 brass online, and it sounds like I can order 24 gauge shotgun brass from the USA and cut it down to size myself if I have to, so that's no problem. Where I run into a snag is with the bullets. This is the only antique I'll be shooting so I really don't want to get to the point where I'm melting lead and molding my own bullets. However, there doesn't seem to be anyone in Canada who sells these bullets, or at least not that I can find online. I've read through a bunch of threads about reloading .577 Snider on this board and everyone seems to be molding their own bullets. So I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy these bullets in Canada, or what the legality is of purchasing them in the USA and bringing them back (I know exporting bullets is illegal under ITAR, but are there exceptions for antiquated calibers or anything like that?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if someone knows where I can just buy pre-made cartridges that would be amazing. I'm located in Kingston, Ontario if that makes a difference.
In the likely chance that I need to load my own ammo, I'll have to find suppliers for the necessary parts. It looks like I can get a Lee press and dies for .577 without too much trouble, and black powder and primers are available all over the place. I can find at least one Canadian supplier of .577 brass online, and it sounds like I can order 24 gauge shotgun brass from the USA and cut it down to size myself if I have to, so that's no problem. Where I run into a snag is with the bullets. This is the only antique I'll be shooting so I really don't want to get to the point where I'm melting lead and molding my own bullets. However, there doesn't seem to be anyone in Canada who sells these bullets, or at least not that I can find online. I've read through a bunch of threads about reloading .577 Snider on this board and everyone seems to be molding their own bullets. So I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy these bullets in Canada, or what the legality is of purchasing them in the USA and bringing them back (I know exporting bullets is illegal under ITAR, but are there exceptions for antiquated calibers or anything like that?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if someone knows where I can just buy pre-made cartridges that would be amazing. I'm located in Kingston, Ontario if that makes a difference.


















































