Barrel purchase

From a previous Superintendant of Registration (post bill C68) the breach plug and perhaps the barrel of a percussion is the receiver.

Beyond what he said, some guns such as Wesson rifles and the small "boot" pistols do have true frames or receivers so that the barrels on them are immaterial. As Nessy said, in the absence of a breach plug, a barrel is just a barrel and just a spare part and in fact requires a breach plug and in some cases a drum or vent liner to define whether it is flint or percussion

cheers mooncoon

That is just the opinion of a bureaucrat.
Remove the breech plug from the barrel and it is just a tube.
The breach plug or the wooden stock may be considered the receiver.
Just another reason why muzzle loading firearms should be exempt from licensing, registration, and any controls at all.
 
That is just the opinion of a bureaucrat.
.

That bureaucrat happens to be the former RCMP Superintendent of Registration and now that the RCMP is in charge of registration it really does not matter what what the law says --- they can do what they want.

If you read the all of what I said, you will notice that I agreed that a barrel by itself is just a barrel ie a spare part.

cheers mooncoon
 
That bureaucrat happens to be the former RCMP Superintendent of Registration and now that the RCMP is in charge of registration it really does not matter what what the law says --- they can do what they want.

If you read the all of what I said, you will notice that I agreed that a barrel by itself is just a barrel ie a spare part.

cheers mooncoon

Saw that right off. I just want to reinforce the concept that the rules of the firearms act and the definition of a firearm in law does not fit some muzzle loading firearms without a great deal of twisting and REinterpretation of words.
 
Whoever drafted the legislation did not consider modern muzzleloading firearms.
So, a modern percussion gun must be registered. OK. If the firearm is disassembled, what residual component is the registered part? I could see a breeched percussion barrel aseembly as being considered to be a "firearm". But if the breeched barrel is disassembled, what then?
There is nothing in the law to suggest that a barrel, or a stock, or a breechplug is registerable.
Notwithstanding that the law is an ass, I am not sure that this is an area that I would want to see clarified. A clarification might make things even worse.
 
Whoever drafted the legislation did not consider modern muzzleloading firearms.
So, a modern percussion gun must be registered. OK. If the firearm is disassembled, what residual component is the registered part? I could see a breeched percussion barrel aseembly as being considered to be a "firearm". But if the breeched barrel is disassembled, what then?
There is nothing in the law to suggest that a barrel, or a stock, or a breechplug is registerable.
Notwithstanding that the law is an ass, I am not sure that this is an area that I would want to see clarified. A clarification might make things even worse.

Better yet an OIC (Order In Council) exempting ALL muzzle loading guns from the licensing and registration requirements would serve to straighten this mess out. Your caplock replica gets moved into the realm of the antique and becomes "not a gun".

I also beg to differ on the modern inline. There is a defined receiver made of metal. The receiver holds the barrel breechplug, trigger , and firing mechanism. The stock attachs to the receiver.
Compare this to a caplock kentucky rifle. Remove the lock and barrel from the stock and you have a piece of wood. The lock is analagous to the firign pin. Remove the breech plug from the barrel and you have a tube and breech plug. By a long stretch the breech plug may be considered the receiver but it doesn't quite meet the standard definition in the firearms act or criminal code.
The solution would be to exempt muzzle loaders. (long guns and handguns)
 
the government and particularly the police never reduce restriction they only increase. In the above if pressed they would register all components and possibly prohibit separation or replacement of same

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom