Black Powder at the Range?

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I am wondering what kind of reaction you get at the range when you shoot black powder....so far I have not had any negative feedback.
The vast majority of shooters at my range (PCDHF) claim to like the smell of BP but I know they are lying.:D
Whenever possible I encourage people to try black powder guns and in exchange sometimes they let me try their .44 Magnums and 1911's etc.
 
Your question sounds like it is directed at shooters who use BP in handgun cartridges. I have no personal experience of that.

I do shoot my muzzleloader with Blackhorn 209, with no adverse reaction from others. However, BH209 is as close to smokeless as it gets.

I have witnessed others use more pungent products out of their muzzleloaders, and is is usually not an issue. When the wind is blowing towards other shooters, it may be a small inconvenience.
 
If people have to wait because of the slow pace of shooting a muzzleloader, it might be an issue. Otherwise, just set up downwind.
 
At the rifle range I let the others know that I am going to shoot, or I shoot downwind - most times it is taken as a novelty , BTW, same as on the skeet range- lots of comments about the absence of bugs when I am shooting !!:D
Cat
 
I like it when a cloud rolls by. I like it even more when I can join in and make my own smoke.

I never complain about 7.62x39 steel cases bouncing off my head, guns, spotter and table. It's part of the fun at the range.
I never complain about muzzle blast from muzzle brakes. It physicaly effects me and the quality of my time spent at the range but I wouldn't dream of complaining about it. LOL I may question the sanity of anyone that would bugger a nice gun like that but far be it from me to question their right to do it! LOL

Bit of a charcoal cloud? Big BOOOM and a flash! Like Dr. Ho says "I love it. You try it. You love it to!!" LOL
 
Reactions I have gotten have been about the volume of the gun on occasion. 19gr BP vs 4.4gr SM I guess the BP is a lot louder.
 
Years ago at a club that I don't belong to any more a young "tactical" shooter with all the low-speed, high-drag poser gear got pissed at an older gentlemen who was shooting a pair of cap and ball revolvers. The punk was set right quite rapidly by all of us who where there at the time.

Black powder isn't my thing (yet) but I was at the club today sharing the line with a man shooting a flinter. Lots of noise, smoke and smell. Damn fine way to spend an afternoon. :)
 
I got to shoot a .357 Magnum for the first time as well as a really nice reproduction of a 1873 Colt in .45.
Here is a little video of black powder shooting at the range:

 
People like when I shoot my Brown Bess. I always let them try a shot and it is usually the first time they get to try a flintlock. I use reduced loads on the range (100 gr FFg) so the experience is pleasant recoil wise!
 
Ventilation could be a major problem on an indoor range. Just ask the next time you are shooting there.
 
I was shootingmy 12 ga SXS BP cartridge at the Parksville shotgun range, and was told not to come back with it. The reason ? it was too loud and would bother the neighbours, and one time someone's jacket almost caught fire from sparks from some else shooting BP :eek:
Parksville F&G has two ranges, rifle and shotgun, the people that shoot on the rifle range are salt of the earth, couldn't find better people, the shotgunners , well :confused:
 
Not so much here at Creanhill, but in the states people use to come over and ask all sorts of questions when I was shooting a Remington 1858 clone. They just aren't up on BP guns. Made for a interesting day.

Here everyone I shoot BP with is also shooting BP so it is not noticed.
 
I got to shoot a .357 Magnum for the first time as well as a really nice reproduction of a 1873 Colt in .45.
Here is a little video of black powder shooting at the range:


I would advise against placing any part of your body where this guy has the index finger of his left hand. Flames and high pressure gas from the gap between cylinder and forcing cone can reach to within about an inch of there. It's best to just avoid that general area.

As for BP at the range - I love it, but in small measures. Most BP shooters get that, and give fair warning.
 
I was shootingmy 12 ga SXS BP cartridge at the Parksville shotgun range, and was told not to come back with it. The reason ? it was too loud and would bother the neighbours,

The only experience I have had that was out of the ordinary, was shooting trap in Prince George, quite a few years ago. One fellow had just arrived and when he saw my shotgun, exclaimed; I wondered what was being shot ----that is the only time I have heard shooting as I approached the club. The club at that time was at the end of a gravel road and the road lined by trees. I fired a couple of matches in daylight and then again in the dusk under big flood lights. During the dusk shooting, about 4 feet of flame was visible and the fellow pushing the button to release the birds, his jaw dropped about 1 foot. He moved from the center of the firing line over to be close to me, exclaiming "I've got to see this"

No problems and no complaints, just a lot of surprise at how much flame came out

cheers mooncoon
 
I get more comments about the cool guns than the noise or smoke. Few have ever seen a flintlock being loaded and fired. Most find it fascinating enough to try a shot and I always offer the opportunity if I have time.... especially for youngsters and ladies.
 
In my early years of shooting I always had older pistols WW I and WWII vintage as they seemed to be the most inexpensive pistols and I really didn't have a lot of money laying around at the time. As most kids I always lusted after the newest high speed low drag firearm that came out. I remember wanting a .44 Mag just like Dirty Harry then went through a phase that revolvers were old school and was strictly an Semi-Automatic guy about the time that Lethal Weapon Came out. I have now come full circle now that I have seen a few shooters at my range with percussion BP pistols. They were great average guys, I always thought that the Black Powder guys were the ones that dressed up in old west or civil war costumes. It never really occurred to me that some people just like to shoot them. I have to say that the reaction at my range has been positive with more curiosity then hostility. As long as you are courteous and make an effort to know the wind direction I have never seen any haters. I hope that BP has a great Revival as it has at least one more convert, Me. I have bought a reproduction 1851 Colt Navy. I will have a range report in the near future.
 
Back
Top Bottom