Blackpowder Rifles for Short People?

Not sure if one could be found in Canada but Knight muzzle loaders makes one called "littlehorn". It has a 12.25" lop. Also has a 200 yard guarantee and timney trigger.
 
Not sure why an inline would be harder to cut down than any other. Granted I know 0 about inline muzzle loaders, but it seems to me a stock is a stock?
I see an Thompson/Center Impact inline has a 1" removable spacer for a perfect fit they claim. That might get you by.
 
Not sure why an inline would be harder to cut down than any other. Granted I know 0 about inline muzzle loaders, but it seems to me a stock is a stock?
I see an Thompson/Center Impact inline has a 1" removable spacer for a perfect fit they claim. That might get you by.

Reason is that most inline BP rifles have 'composite' stocks that are moulded to size. Cutting an inch or so off the butt might well give you nothing but a very large rifle butt-shaped hole.
 
There are older in-line muzzleloader rifles that have wood stocks that could easily be cut shorter to suit - Knight and T/C for a start. Gonic rifles should be given a pass because they require different diameter bullets or sabots.
I would steer far away from CVA and Traditions inline guns. Read Randy Wakeman on the catastrophic failures experienced by too many users of these brands.
 
Wrong. Gonic rifles easily handle saboted, .429-.430" dia. bullets. Merely use a sabot intended for .45 cal. pistol bullets(black sabot). The thinner petal walls are a near perfect fit, in the Gonic bore, with .44 cal bullets. I have been following this simple procedure, for nearly 30 years, without a single problem, to date. Only problem arises when using full-patch, .50 cal. slugs. Gonic rifles are a true .500" bore, rather than the nominal .503" of most other muzzleloading rifles. For these, I use a simple, push-through sizing die. Or, Lee precision can make a custom bullet mold for you. I also have one of these, which throws a 465 gr. solid.
As a matter of interest, I knew the late Fred Rodney(Gonic Arms president), very well. He suggested going with .45 cal. sabots, if none of his were available.
 
Look for TC scout carbine or a Pedersoli Scout. They are small, light, and very accurate.

For hunting I would choose the T/C. They use percussion caps instead of shotgun primers.
 
Reason is that most inline BP rifles have 'composite' stocks that are moulded to size. Cutting an inch or so off the butt might well give you nothing but a very large rifle butt-shaped hole.

Probably not much different than many other composite stocks out there. That's why Brownells makes Acraglass .
 
X2 on the Knight Littlehorn. Likely perfect for you wife. If you can't find a local source, Ellwood Epps, in Ontario, is a Knight retailer.
 
In my experience, barrel length is a more important factor than action type. I've seen a number of short shooters struggling with traditional long rifles. Loading becomes complicated when the muzzle is above your head.
 
In my experience, barrel length is a more important factor than action type. I've seen a number of short shooters struggling with traditional long rifles. Loading becomes complicated when the muzzle is above your head.

I could see that being a bit of a problem I usually have the opposite problem of OP's stocks being too short
 
Thompson Center Impact has a 1" removeable section in the stock for that specific reason. I really like mine.


Thompson/Center
Thompson/Center Impact Muzzleloader – Blued/Black

Higher-end performance at an entry-level price
Break-open hood offers smooth action
Easy primer access and cleaning
1" removable stock spacers make for a perfect fit
QLA muzzle speeds reloading time

Value-loaded features like a break-open action and adjustable length-of-pull provide higher-end performance at an entry-level price. The break-open hood offers smooth action for right- and left-handed shooters, while providing easy primer access and cleaning. 1" removable stock spacers make for a perfect fit for hunters of all ages and sizes. QLA® muzzle speeds reloading time. Adjustable fiber-optic sights. Triple-lead-thread breech plug prevents seizing.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom