Boot Pistol, make/model id'ing needed.

Grove

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
GVRD
Ok was looking through the threads but I honestly don't know where to start.

Just got my first black powder pistol and it's an antique at that, don't have the antique letter available so no idea what I got.

Boot pistol, percussion cap, 8 inch overall length with a barrel just shy of 4 inches.

Here's a whole lot of pictures of the bugger, I know someone out there knows exactly what this is or owned this gun before me.

IMG_3676.jpg


IMG_3679.jpg


Proof markings on the gun, a Crown of some sort and the numbers 35.
IMG_3683.jpg


Left side of the receiver. a stamped letter L?
IMG_3685.jpg


Field stripped, if you want to call it that.
IMG_3686.jpg


Receiver again.
IMG_3687.jpg


IMG_3696.jpg


Barrel receiver side.
IMG_3694.jpg


Muzzle end.
IMG_3695.jpg


Trigger/main spring assembly.
IMG_3697.jpg


Sum's it up for pictures.
 
You have a little Birmingham made pocket pistol of a type popular ca. 1840-1870. I suspect the trigger guard is a replacement, although its been there for a long time.
 
Got it hoping to make it a gift for a family member but I do want to shoot it.

Trigger spring great, hammer drops HARD.

Not cleaned gun yet at all, as is how I got it. Haven't measured the bore either.
 
If you don't already own a caliper buy one, get a dial gauge not digital...... measure the bore. Rebore one 64 th over to remove all or most of the crap and make an insert to return this to a smooth bore. The threads on the end of the barrel are weak so don't over load maybe shoot wads only for demonstration.

With your new caliper measure the nipple, a # 11 cap measures .062 inches inside.
Don't clean anything except what you can't see like the hole going down to the nipple.
 
That being an English gun, it is highly likely that the "35" represents the bore in GAUGE. It is a 35-gauge gun, meaning that the bore is of the correct size to handle a ball weighing 1/35 of a pound. Being that a pound is 7000 grains, this would be a 200-grain ball, making the gun itself very close to a .50 calibre.

Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top Bottom