BP substitutes in cartridge guns

I have used Hodgdon's 777 FFG in .41LC. I loved the smoke and muzzle flash. I only used it because real BP is difficult to get but I am working on that.
 
I have no trouble getting Goex FFG but the required cleaning (and my gf's reaction to the sulfur smell) is sometimes a problem. Bought some Yukon Gold on the weekend but Haven't loaded any yet....
 
Have never tried Yukon Gold but with 777 I know the powder must not be compressed nore can there be an air space the bullet should just touch the powder .I would suggest contacting the manufacturer first to see if they have any advice
 
A lot has been written on this by others and the majority find that "Real BLACK POWDER" is much safer to use, more accurate, more consistent, in fact I have read some horror stories of folks that used these fake powders. Usually it is poor ignition, delayed ignition, etc. When used properly black powder rifles(CTG) can be cleaned easily in the field with the use of a blow tube and a couple of passes with a patch, no need to smell up the house. A proper BP lube should be used on the bullets, this means better accuracy as the fouling should stay softer, reacts better to moist air from the blow tube allowing easy cleanup. There is a reason why in-line muzzleloaders use 209 shotgun primers now, those fake powders are much more difficult to ignite properly then the real BLACK.
 
Well I don't find Pyrodex too much more difficult to light than Goex BP with central fire primed cases, but now that you mention it, my Safari muzzleloader works much better with Goex in there. Pyrodex residue is much more corrosive than black. I have to clean the spent primer chute on my loading press to keep it rust free when using Pyrodex, but not when I use Goex. I decided to work up a load with RS for my .45-90 because it is easier to get than black, but I'll be jiggered if the load I stumbled on didn't shoot into less than one minute on a regular basis. So I left the black for another day.

I always thought the smell is the best part! You guys go tell them women they are all crazy. :)
 
I always thought the smell is the best part! You guys go tell them women they are all crazy.

I weighed the options.... Her in her favorite naughty schoolgirl outfit or the smell of BP.... I'll let you know how the yukon gold works.... ;)
 
Last edited:
I weighed the options.... Her in her favorite naughty schoolgirl outfit or the smell of BP.... I'll let you know how the yukon gold works.... ;)

Isn't there a third option? You've got a somewhat limited situation going on. Just tell her that in Asian culture, the hydrogen sulfide gas produced form the buring of black powder is like some sort of virility enhancing thing... you know, like bear's gall bladders. That's why they invented it in the first place. Nutty Chinese are always up to something, that's what makes it plausable. How can you tell I'm single and free to dump and rinse my cartridges in the kitchen sink fresh from my Thumbler Tumbler.
 
Well if you don't have one, get a Thumbler or some other rotary tumbler with a ceramic media kit. Build a series of sieves from plastic pails. Starting with small holes on the bottom to drain the water, but retain the media, and larger holes in 2 pails that retain the brass but lets the media fall through.

What have you got in .43 Mauser?
 
Last edited:
Well if you don't have one, get a Thumbler or some other rotary tumbler with a ceramic media kit. Build a series of sieves from plastic pails. Starting with small holes on the bottom to drain the water, but retain the media, and larger holes in 2 pails that retain the brass but lets the media faal through.

It's bad enough I snuck the mauser into the house.... Never mind if she came home to that going on. The depressing part is she's gone to bed without me and I'm still up assembling my #4 long lever martini... The mauser I'm shooting is the '71 mauser I got from Tula. Pics on the EE a couple weeks back. Shoots pretty decent too...
 
SHOOT SHOCKIES GOLD . no problem at all ,no smell . cleans easy .i shoot it in 30/30 , 38/55 , 45/70 , 50/60 peabody , .577 . it dont stain your brass.
 
OH come on 870. Just tell her you've got to spend money to make money. It goes like this "Oops! I just spent money, now I have to go to work to make money." It's so simple that even I could be an econonmist. Whatever they do. They "economize" right? :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom