Brown Colt SAA. What to do, what to do..

In my opinion refinishing a mechanically VG original condition revolver decreases the value. I'd leave it just like it is. The only vintage pistol i'd refinish would be something that needed new barrel and cylinder, in which case they are not original and you aren't destroying a working gun, but rebuilding a broken one.
 
People go to far with this historical nonsense, rust pitting is not the declaration of independance. The sistine chapel has been restored, so have priceless works of art, it's not the end of the world as some would have us believe.
I wouldnt mess with it unless it is going to be professionally restored, a poor quality refinsh would be wrong.

Nice find!
 
When the Sistine Chapel was restored, it was meticulously cleaned. It was not stripped back to the plaster and repainted.
 
Nice looking SAA.

Since it's antique status, I'd see what it's worth NOW and what it would be worth if it's refinished.

It could be worth more in the US as is right now than it is up here, refinished or not.

It depends on what YOU want to do with it. Is this an investment, or did you pick it up as a shooter?
 
When the Sistine Chapel was restored, it was meticulously cleaned. It was not stripped back to the plaster and repainted.


Your correct, and that would be how you restore artwork, not guns. The last supper by Leonardo da Vinci is a better example having been repainted numerous times during restorations. The point is obviously reached where the importance of original condition is surpassed by the restoration.

If the colt presents better restored, I dont see the importance of the condition once its reached the point of widepread pitting. Restoration may not be possible without extensive metal work depending on the pitting and then it would be better to leave it alone. A quality restoration would also run upwards of $2500 from someone in the US like Turnbull, in which case it may not make financial sense. I just disagree with those who say it loses all historical significance after restoration.
 
Nice looking SAA.

Since it's antique status, I'd see what it's worth NOW and what it would be worth if it's refinished.

It could be worth more in the US as is right now than it is up here, refinished or not.

It depends on what YOU want to do with it. Is this an investment, or did you pick it up as a shooter?

I got this gun from poor pics, at a good price. With hopes of it being a good shooter. I will find out when the weather smartens up. I'm sure it will shoot fine.
 
Don't get it "refinished" and destroy its character: clean it up with some 0000 grade steel wool saturated with light oil to remove surface rust, crud, etc but not the remaining bluing. It is a nice old shooter with history and character.
 
Greetings Bill-Had a similar quandary some time back. Got a really tight condition Colt Navy 1851 that had been polished to rats**t. Agonized for 6 months before deciding to re-finish as original. Had a hot blue done by a gunsmith friend and the frame re-silver plated by jewellry house in Vancouver. All the stampings and serial # are still clear so in my mind 100 years from now it will be an old refinish and have more historical value than if I had left it as I got it. Just my 2 cents worth
 
Back
Top Bottom