They likely have several military/LE contracts that require domestic made ammo.ohthen in that case i see a few serious flaws in my plan lol.... begs the question why cenataur even bothers?
They likely have several military/LE contracts that require domestic made ammo.ohthen in that case i see a few serious flaws in my plan lol.... begs the question why cenataur even bothers?
All we really need are local companies through out the country to make the components. One specializing in each component of the metallic cartridge. The ammo can be put together by the Canadian reloaders. We already have small projectile manufacturers. All we need are brass, powder, and primer manufacturers. This way the start up could be manageable and less risky. Industries already manufacturing similar products can diversify their portfolio by adding components to their offering. Fertiliser industries can easily get into propellants for example.
Just an idea.
tön
I heard a rumour about a company trying to start an ammo company near Carberry, MB. I would love to hear more details.
you dont have to be "huge", big enough to fill the niche of sportsmen and shooters.If the big boys didnt spend so much of their effortsFACE FACTS, the Canadian market on the world stage is just a grain of sand on the beach....
The civilian market is a small fraction of the US market, as for the law enforcement market that is a killer, the major manufacturers (American) will compete directly with you for the various government agencies business often at prices that defy competition....
Its one thing to put together several million dollars for equipment, property, buildings such as powder storage, primer storage, production, packaging, warehousing and shipping.... Did I mention you will need a fully equipped, first class machine shop , etc, etc....
Then you have to find qualified people for the various areas of production, a lead machinist with experience in making and maintaining your drawing dies, bunting dies, loading dies, extrusion equipment, etc, etc....
You will need a couple of very qualified millrights just to keep everything running smoothly....
You will require several very able machine operators, they must have extensive knowledge of the various steps in making cases and bullets....
Don't forget your QC people, they MUST have a very deep knowledge of the product, knowledge of every step in the production, after all they will decide what goes out of the plant....
Lets not forget your ballistic facilities, in our climate you would require an indoor range to insure consistent temperature, humidity etc.... In short the ideal test environment....
The range should be at least 100 meters.
Oh yes, take some of your left over funds for your new lab, I won't go into this one, You will need at least two hi end chronographs, top notch hi speed photo gear, two complete pressure gun set-ups, copper crusher and piazo, of course you will need a test barrel for each system in each caliber you are manufacturing....
Now that you have made all this ammo you need to have your new marketing department go out there and sell it, attend trade shows, call on government agencies, call on wholesalers, etc, etc....
Don't forget that if the "big boys" decide you are a threat to them they can well afford to put you under with special promotions, extended billing, etc, etc....
In short, IF YOU have that much money laying around why the hell would you want to get into this business ??
Just my 2cts after several decades in this trade....
John
isnt that a shot shell maker?
http://prairieshot.com/
they are trying to open a plant just outside of carberry but are probably a few years away. why isn't challenger ammo more available its good stuff and if I could find a bunch I would by it . I have heard rumors of a plant in Edmonton called superior munitions but have never laid eyes on any of the product.
You're talking about Superior Canadian Munitions. Eco-terrorists got Gary shut down. He made the best lead shot money could buy. Manufactured shotshells using Fiocci components. My cold weather shooting jacket and mesh vests are embroidered across the shoulders with the company name. I was sponsored by Gary for ATA shoots. His target loads were excellent and only 70% the cost of Win AA's. He also had a HEYM press for swage forming lead bullets. I would run that monster sometimes when he really needed a hand. I made .38 cal 148HBWC and 158SWC bullets on there by the thousands. Then they were tumble lubed with a moly based coating.
http://prairieshot.com/
they are trying to open a plant just outside of carberry but are probably a few years away. why isn't challenger ammo more available its good stuff and if I could find a bunch I would by it . I have heard rumors of a plant in Edmonton called superior munitions but have never laid eyes on any of the product.



























