Canadian Antique Firearm Values (CGN Guide)

still allowed antique hand guns all tho there definition is stricter than ours

Are they allowed to shoot them? Sell them on the open market? Possess Ammo?

I think the brits also have 'central storage' requirements for alot of collectible and sporting firearms.

I used to think the same way regarding antiques getting left alone. Unfortunatley I am now pretty sure there is a 'white paper' somewhere just waiting to get turned into legislation/OIC/Regulation or what ever they do in ottawa to make thier will known.

762's comment about the 95% of antique owners just being 'gunnutz' with a penchant for unregistered handguns is not lost on Wendy's research associates, or any of the other hardworking folks who's job it is to find 'gaspers'. " Gasp oh my god did you know...."
 
How can you confiscate something when you don't know where to find it?

No need to confiscate or know where the antiques are. You make it illegal to possess them and then any one with a brain in thier head turns in thier antiques for smelting. I for one wont be retaining any antiques if it means I could be charged with prohibitied weapons offences!

Sorry to sound defeatist or paranoid, I am sure the gov has many more important things to worry about then a few harmless BP guns. I do however think that any major reform to handgun legislation will include our historic arms.
 
No need to confiscate or know where the antiques are. You make it illegal to possess them and then any one with a brain in thier head turns in thier antiques for smelting. I for one wont be retaining any antiques if it means I could be charged with prohibitied weapons offences!

Sorry to sound defeatist or paranoid, I am sure the gov has many more important things to worry about then a few harmless BP guns. I do however think that any major reform to handgun legislation will include our historic arms.

I'm not going to comment this at length, as I don't want to put myself in a certain situation in case this ever comes true... let me just say this... before you send them off to the smelter, PLEASE PM me first, okay? I'll gladly drive there to take em off your hands and "drive them myself to the smelter". I'll also give you a case of beer of your choice as a bonus.

It will save you a trip. So how about that?

;)

762's comment about the 95% of antique owners just being 'gunnutz' with a penchant for unregistered handguns is not lost on Wendy's research associates, or any of the other hardworking folks who's job it is to find 'gaspers'. " Gasp oh my god did you know...."

I hate to burst your bubble... but Wendy already b*tched about the status of antiques on national TV a long while ago. She even brought a bunch of them on the show to demonstrate to the sheeple what kinds of baby-killing machines are available to "collectors" without a license or registration. Me or you discussing things on this board will not change that... because that b*tch is already on a crusade to get ALL guns, even some POS Napoleonic-era flintlock that's been buried in a battlefield for 400 years.

Here you go... "Wendy the Crusader" showing the picture of an evil un-neutered male subject holding the most evil device ever created, straight from the darkest pits of hell:

cukiergun-cp-9352229.jpg


So, you think she really cares about the "historical value" of that gun in the picture she's holding? No, she doesn't... but what she does care about is defeatist comments like you've posted above, as it makes her job MUCH easier, my friend. Just something to think about. "Not an inch!" should be our collective motto.

:rolleyes:
 
I know abit about Englands Situation.
They can have certin perscribed Antiques just like us(where do you think Ottawa got the idea they cant dare think for themselves)
we got lucky the person makeing up the list was some pencil pusher who looked in some common book of cartridges or Calibers and started makeing the list. If you think they left out 455 and 44 Russian on purpose i think your dreaming.
Now back to England they can have some Perscribed Antiques because the Earls who owned castles and huge amounts of land, didnt want to give up there antique gun collections it wasnt that they thought about the common man buying antiques.
but they cant have ammo or shoot theres they cant pack them in the bush to target shoot.
 
Last edited:
"Not an inch!" should be our collective motto.

Or read 'the art of war' sometimes a bold enemy will ignore you when they believe you weak.
762 I like you. When/if the worst happens I'll certainly have you by for a beer.

BTW I am not defeatist cause I know that she can never take from you/me or any other thinking person with a thumb and a finger the ability to hand engrave rifling in a tube and she can't take all the lead and pyrites either. No one can remove from our knowledge base the ability to launch projectiles from a tube. Sure I like nice guns but the 'need' part of firearms possesion is pretty simple: The ability to project force beyond the range of a spear.

I'll happily conform to the law of the land knowing that when I 'need' to slay a moose or ward off a zombie attack I can accomplish anyting with a file and wee bit of carbon that our forefathers did. I kow how to make a spring, soften and harden steel, build a rifleing cutter and a guide, and I know how to drill a hole, I can also melt lead and shape wood.

Stay tuned for my winter match lock project,
 
Hey if they take my antiques what about my crossbow and nightvison equipment .:p

I think my crossbows are way more deadly than any of me handguns and anyone with some skill can make a decent crossbow.

like David says knowledge (clear perception of truth) is the real power of some people.
 
Last edited:
My favourite sixguns are the old S&W top breaks. I purchased one NM#3 44 Russian here in Canada for $3,500 and sold it for the same price a few years later. The rest have been purchased in the US, as well as an antique Colt. Including what I got dinged at the border for GST, PST, and some significant repairs on the Colt, the ones in the US have all ended up costing me between $4,400 to $4,800 each, but those prices are a few years old. With the except of the Colt, which I still have, the others were sold within the same range. Unless you put some work rebuilding a beater yourself, or get a fantastic deal in the US (neither of which I've had the time or resources to do), I average around the break-even between buying and selling. The reward is owning them for a while and even shooting them a bit. One nice top break I sold, a 2nd Model American in excellent shape, would likely cost well over $5,000 now, judging from what they are going for in the US. I regret selling that one very much, and will likely regret it even more as time goes by, but I needed the $$ for a different gun (how often has that happened to fellows on this forum!).
 
David: Yes, I hear you... I've been toying with innovative ideas of making stuff myself as well, albeit thus far my ideas are solely on paper and in my head (I don't have a lathe yet to make any prototypes, haha!) :p

Dingus: A crossbow and NV goggles are actually on my 'to get' list, believe it or not. Not that I really need it... but it'd be fun to have, just because it pisses off some Liberal who believes I shouldn't. I already have body armor (from work) and I'm glad I do, because that freedom of self-preservation is also making it's slow ascent to the 'evil items reserved for the protection of the elite' list. :jerkit:

Win 38-55: Thanks for the input! By the way, that gun you're referring to has been in my dreams when it was posted for sale... I still wish I had the cash back then... sigh. But then again, if you got to enjoy it while you had it, then good for you.

Like I said once to a fellow antique enthusiast/collector who was thinking of getting into this hobby (of buying pre-1898 iron): we are not owners of these so called 'antiques'; we are merely their custodians who have chosen to preserve them in order to pass them on to the next generation of collectors to enjoy. These guns are older than our grandparents and sometimes great-grandparents, so it's only fair to assume that they'll be around a lot longer than we will... if some gun-hating b*tch doesn't get her greedy gun-grabbing hands on them first, of course.

;)
 
Back
Top Bottom