Canadian Cartridge Collectors: question

Doug

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
947   0   0
Location
Kingston Ont
Today, as part of a swap, I received a box of Winchester .22 magnum Rim Fire JHP ammo. This is the yellow box Winchester "Super Speed" ammo. On one side of the box, in English only, is a red sticker:

NOTICE​

The demand being insufficient to warrant production, these cartridges are imported for the convenience of our customers.

SOLD BY
CANADIAN INDUSTRIES LIMITED​
Montreal Canada

Never have I seen such a sticker, and evidently the box (which is full) is collectible. I would be interested in INFORMED opinion as to the value of the box.

Youngsters who have an opinion AND an arsehole need not apply, thanks. :rolleyes: I have both also, and don't need yours.

Doug
 
CIL used to buy some calibers from others, like the .280 Ross (from it's corporate mother ICI - Kynoch), 'till the mid-60's.
Then, they labeled it as you mentioned.

You will find quite a few calibers like this here and there.
 
Thanks Baribal!

I would place this label as that kind of time frame, same for the ammo.

Any idea on value?

Doug
 
Well, Doug,

It's all about demand... I recently bought "like new" Dominion 6.5X54 M-S for 22.00 $ and a box of 50 .22 LR of the same era, means about 1930, for 5.00 $.

I'd say from 10.00 $ to 20.00 $ if in good shape, 25.00 $ maybe if all brass and bullets are in top shape and cardboard is "like new".
I also bought some bring back Boers 7X57 for less than 0.25 $ each...

For a good appreciation of the different Dominion boxes, look on joesalter.com web site, Joe digs up a lot of those and gets it for almost nothing, mostly in N-S, N-B and Qc... he is draining Canada of firearms related stuff.

Before Joe takes them all, keeping an eye at gunshows and garage sales may provide you with really cheap treasures... A lot of people still keep this stuff in the basement...

But this stuff deserve to be kept for some time, the prices seems to rise since about a year. And just for history...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom