charged with carring antique gun?

An Antique Firearm is not considered a firearm but becomes a Firearm if involved in criminal actions. So...showing the thing to friends, not a firearm, Drugs and stealing involved, he probably gets slapped with possession of a prohibited firearm without licence for criminal purpose...

CG
 
I had an antique revolver a couple years back......& I bought it so I could trot through the bushes with it. I paid a lot of money for this "false freedom". I called the CFO and wanted to make Sure I wouldn't get in trouble. I heard all the arguments & advice on CGN about what the law says,... and I felt comfortable with that info. Well here it is folks- I argued with the CFO that I could shoot it out in the back woods, & they said I would be arrested & charged if I attempted to do so. I then called the RCMP and got told the same thing.
You may be able to carry it legally according to a very poorly written law,...but the CFO's don't know it & the RCMP don't know it. Where does that leave YOU ???? I sold it, ..have no desire to challenge the law.
 
That's not challenging the law ^^

That's challenging uninformed people who have an incorrect opinion of the law.

If you don't want to do that may as well sell any firearms you have.
 
He can probably beat the possession of a firearm without a permit charge but that's the least of his worries.

As was mentioned already in this thread an antique handgun isn't considered a firearm normally but it sure is when used during a criminal offence. Armed robbery...... He's in deep trouble.
 
That's not challenging the law ^^

That's challenging uninformed people who have an incorrect opinion of the law.

If you don't want to do that may as well sell any firearms you have.

I don't think its fair to say that because some people just don't have the resources to challenge said laws.
 
He can probably beat the possession of a firearm without a permit charge but that's the least of his worries.

As was mentioned already in this thread an antique handgun isn't considered a firearm normally but it sure is when used during a criminal offence. Armed robbery...... He's in deep trouble.

As well, even if you win Your battle & lawyer up.......guess what,..its still on record & worse its on CPIC. Every time an officer runs your Plate number & name, guess what pops up.! Good luck with that traffic stop. Who in the heck wants all that trouble ?? Treat your Antique as a Real fire arm.
 
That's not challenging the law ^^

That's challenging uninformed people who have an incorrect opinion of the law.

If you don't want to do that may as well sell any firearms you have.

I find it disturbing that in almost all other trained occupations, practitioners are held accountable for their mistakes within the scope of their chosen field of work, it is called competence. In the case of Law Enforcement, however, ignorance seems to be not only accepted but encouraged because there is no personal responsibility attached to an error that ruins a citizens life. IMHO, this is just so fundamentally wrong.
 
I had an antique revolver a couple years back......& I bought it so I could trot through the bushes with it. I paid a lot of money for this "false freedom". I called the CFO and wanted to make Sure I wouldn't get in trouble. I heard all the arguments & advice on CGN about what the law says,... and I felt comfortable with that info. Well here it is folks- I argued with the CFO that I could shoot it out in the back woods, & they said I would be arrested & charged if I attempted to do so. I then called the RCMP and got told the same thing.
You may be able to carry it legally according to a very poorly written law,...but the CFO's don't know it & the RCMP don't know it. Where does that leave YOU ???? I sold it, ..have no desire to challenge the law.

Thank goodness for the RCMP, they kept us all safe from you and your crazy crazy ways! My god imagine what would have happened if you brought the pistol into the woods! My word! I'm so glad the RCMP is here to help us and keep us safe from the bad bad men.
 
Hey Lone Ranger, as was pointed out, you were talking to the uninformed. I have an antique handgun and shoot it regularly in my backyard and at the hunt camp. I also take it in the bush but it can't be concealed and I have a small games hunting licence so I can hunt small game in Ontario. I can't have it with me in the bush when there is a large game season open as these require a rifle or archery.

I carry the pertinent paperwork with me and have shown it to both a MNR CO and a OPP officer. They both were quite surprised by it but said I had all my bases covered. Neither had heard of it before so carrying the paperwork is an absolute necessity.
 
I find it disturbing that in almost all other trained occupations, practitioners are held accountable for their mistakes within the scope of their chosen field of work, it is called competence. In the case of Law Enforcement, however, ignorance seems to be not only accepted but encouraged because there is no personal responsibility attached to an error that ruins a citizens life. IMHO, this is just so fundamentally wrong.

Its done on purpose,..they are very aware,..but its their job to discourage people from doing it. Can you imagine if the Rcmp came out with a news feed saying everyone could carry a gun legally in the forest.......every gang banger would be doing it. It opens up the door for un trained shooters , mental patience, criminals ect,..to just buy a gun and walk out of the store with it. This wont work & the law knows it,..and they are gonna slam the door shut hard on any one who challenges it.
 
As well, even if you win Your battle & lawyer up.......guess what,..its still on record & worse its on CPIC. Every time an officer runs your Plate number & name, guess what pops up.! Good luck with that traffic stop. Who in the heck wants all that trouble ?? Treat your Antique as a Real fire arm.

Having a stick resembling a firearm is enough to cause issues these days..
 
What forest are you hanging out in?


think about it for a second...... This is Canada. you walk into a store without a PAL ,buy a hand gun in cash and walk out and go shooting in the back 40 15minutes later.LOL Although "some where in our obscure law" someone interpits the law saying you can , I would say for certain that the law will see this Very differently.
 
think about it for a second...... This is Canada. you walk into a store without a PAL ,buy a hand gun in cash and walk out and go shooting in the back 40 15minutes later.LOL Although "some where in our obscure law" someone interpits the law saying you can , I would say for certain that the law will see this Very differently.

I'm still confused as to why a gangbanger would go to the trouble of buying an expensive antique pistol from a shop and then take it into the woods to shoot? They will just buy one illegally on the streets NBD for them.
 
I'm still confused as to why a gangbanger would go to the trouble of buying an expensive antique pistol from a shop and then take it into the woods to shoot? They will just buy one illegally on the streets NBD for them.

Not to mention having to learn how to make or load ammo for an antique, when it isn't "readily" or "commercially" available... And without blowing one's-self up in the process...
 
Back
Top Bottom