Civil war era cannon balls

powell_river

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these scuba diving on the West Coast of Vancouver Island British Columbia thinking maybe you guys could tell me a little bit more about them the small ones are about 6 pounds and the big ones are about just shy of 12 pounds.
 
How have you dated these?
6lb and 12lb cannons would have been used from 15th century on. I am not sure about the shipping scenario of the time but if there in a hole in these balls they may have been used as depth finders.
 
I’m having a hard time uploading pictures I’m thinking there Turn of the century because I found them in a location that the Canadian military ships had there range practice In the 1900’s I think
 
I soaked them in used engine oil for a month to stop them from disintegrating because the first one I got just disintegrated being in fresh air the one that didn’t look like the rest already got the oil treatment and I washed it off thanx aye
 
You might want to check with the Provincial Archives in Victoria and about Marine Salvage laws in BC and Canada.

Archeological sites are also protected.
 
I found these in about 120’ on bedrock as far as salvage laws go that ONLY applies too ships after 2 years of being sunk, random objects have no protection.
 
Treasure hunters will skirt new law
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/treasure-hunters-will-skirt-new-law-1.881529

Who keeps bounty found at sea?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/who-keeps-bounty-found-at-sea-1.839631


Guidelines for the Management of Archaeological Resources
file:///C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Temp/archguide_e.pdf

Nothing is simple in salvage of any type and if your cannon balls are part of a shipwrecks debris trail and you may have a problem.

You might want to contact;

UBC Department of Anthropology

Underwater Archaeology Society of BC
http://www.uasbc.com/

Shipwrecks Conference
http://www.uasbc.com/shipwrecks-conference
 
Back
Top Bottom