Collection Status

A fair bit of paranoia evident; as someone said a few pages back, "a lot of tin foil here."

Seriously, I'm with those that think having collector status is a good thing. The general public appears to react a lot better to gun ownership if one is a "collector." People collect stamps, or coins, or matchbooks, or salt and pepper shakers, or cars, or old guns - no big deal to many.

It's not like LEOs don't have access to the restricted and prohib gun database if you are just a range member and not a collector. Either way, they will know what you have when they check the database.

Having collector status, in addition to a range membership, may also be a good thing at some point in the future, especially if the limits on shooting handguns become even more restrictive. Collectors might be the last ones targeted by the anti-gun lobby. That said, I do hope that the handgun laws become less restrictive and more reasonable.

I could not agree more Swampdog
 
A fair bit of paranoia evident; as someone said a few pages back, "a lot of tin foil here."

Seriously, I'm with those that think having collector status is a good thing. The general public appears to react a lot better to gun ownership if one is a "collector." People collect stamps, or coins, or matchbooks, or salt and pepper shakers, or cars, or old guns - no big deal to many.

It's not like LEOs don't have access to the restricted and prohib gun database if you are just a range member and not a collector. Either way, they will know what you have when they check the database.

Having collector status, in addition to a range membership, may also be a good thing at some point in the future, especially if the limits on shooting handguns become even more restrictive. Collectors might be the last ones targeted by the anti-gun lobby. That said, I do hope that the handgun laws become less restrictive and more reasonable.

I could not agree more Swampdog
 
A fair bit of paranoia evident; as someone said a few pages back, "a lot of tin foil here."

Seriously, I'm with those that think having collector status is a good thing. The general public appears to react a lot better to gun ownership if one is a "collector." People collect stamps, or coins, or matchbooks, or salt and pepper shakers, or cars, or old guns - no big deal to many.

It's not like LEOs don't have access to the restricted and prohib gun database if you are just a range member and not a collector. Either way, they will know what you have when they check the database.

Having collector status, in addition to a range membership, may also be a good thing at some point in the future, especially if the limits on shooting handguns become even more restrictive. Collectors might be the last ones targeted by the anti-gun lobby. That said, I do hope that the handgun laws become less restrictive and more reasonable.

I'm sorry but I have to sit here and laugh. My apology. Come on. I don't know where you live in the country but I quote "The general public appears to react a lot better to gun ownership if one is a "collector." People collect stamps, or coins, or matchbooks, or salt and pepper shakers, or cars, or old guns
Yes sir everyone wants a guy moving in next door with a few hundred guns. Quite the opposite unfortunately. Just 6 years ago here a couple were woken by two armed men looking for guns seems they had the right last name on their mail box but the collector the boys were looking for was about 8 houses down the block. Yep everyone wants a gun collector on their street.
And this one " Collectors might be the last ones targeted by the anti-gun lobby. How about collectors are the first, have you ever read any of the anti publications. Plus colelctors will be the first one targeted by criminals looking for guns.
I can fully understand your comments and the tin foil reference since nothing becomes real until it is experienced.
If you have kids just wait until your little one comes home someday and says daddy can you get rid of your guns so my friends would be allowed over my house to play. Hope I am wrong but time will tell. I flew this plane for years many have not sat in the seat yet so easy to judge from that position . I am not the only collector with similiar experiences. Kind Regards
 
I'm sorry but I have to sit here and laugh. My apology. Come on. I don't know where you live in the country but I quote "The general public appears to react a lot better to gun ownership if one is a "collector." People collect stamps, or coins, or matchbooks, or salt and pepper shakers, or cars, or old guns
Yes sir everyone wants a guy moving in next door with a few hundred guns. Quite the opposite unfortunately. Just 6 years ago here a couple were woken by two armed men looking for guns seems they had the right last name on their mail box but the collector the boys were looking for was about 8 houses down the block. Yep everyone wants a gun collector on their street.
And this one " Collectors might be the last ones targeted by the anti-gun lobby. How about collectors are the first, have you ever read any of the anti publications. Plus colelctors will be the first one targeted by criminals looking for guns.
I can fully understand your comments and the tin foil reference since nothing becomes real until it is experienced.
If you have kids just wait until your little one comes home someday and says daddy can you get rid of your guns so my friends would be allowed over my house to play. Hope I am wrong but time will tell. I flew this plane for years many have not sat in the seat yet so easy to judge from that position . I am not the only collector with similiar experiences. Kind Regards

I'm not sure if you are recommending that no one should own guns or just that no one should apply for collector status.

It makes no difference to your neighbors or the police whether you have collector status. No one puts up a "Gun Collector" sign at the end of your driveway or goes around telling your neighbors and the local criminals that you are a collector; gun ownership (and collector status) should remain between you and the CFO and LEOs who might have reason to check the database. If your local cop is blabbing to everyone that you have guns, file a complaint with his superiors or sue him. If you or your family members go around telling everyone that you have restricted/prohib guns in the house then don't be surprised at negative consequences.
 
I'm not sure if you are recommending that no one should own guns or just that no one should apply for collector status.

It makes no difference to your neighbors or the police whether you have collector status. No one puts up a "Gun Collector" sign at the end of your driveway or goes around telling your neighbors and the local criminals that you are a collector; gun ownership (and collector status) should remain between you and the CFO and LEOs who might have reason to check the database. If your local cop is blabbing to everyone that you have guns, file a complaint with his superiors or sue him. If you or your family members go around telling everyone that you have restricted/prohib guns in the house then don't be surprised at negative consequences.
Where did I say no one should have guns ??????????? I am saying "Collector Status" it is not all it is cracked up to be and the small benifits you think are there if they are, get quickly lost
with all the negative associated with it.
If for one minute you honestly think it will not get out I will never change your mind. However I can assure you once you join the group all of a sudden you show on a different report and the sign for your yard comes with it. May be criminals here are smarter I don't know. They seem to just join or hang out at a club for a while and within months have a good handle on who the big collectors are just from talking to other shooters.
Any how you will have to find out for yourself like I did.
I like this line
If you or your family members go around telling everyone that you have restricted/prohib guns in the house then don't be surprised at negative consequences.
But it is just like collecting stamps, matchbooks, coins or cars and real cool why can't I tell any one. You don't realise it but just that one line says a lot and just just admitted their is negative consequences associated with it . Hey you are a collector why should you hide it. Enough said. Take care and good luck
 
3macs1, obviously we are not going to agree on this.

But . . . I would suggest that the problems you have had in the past came from owning a large number of guns, not from having collector status. You can have collector status and not own any guns, or you can own a gazillion guns and not have collector status. It's not collector status that will create problems; general knowledge that you own a large number of guns can lead to difficulties of various sorts.
 
I am going to agree with swampdog again. 3macs1....we are all sorry you had a bad experience! No kidding! BUT collector status in my mind is a personal choice. I for one feel it is what I want to have. As previously mentioned if the police want to come in every day and inspect..have at er.
On the other hand, whether I own 1 gun or 100 is no one else's business except my own. I will not advertise or pass through my lips of my collection. It is just a personal thing. And yes one additional bonus for me and only me is that have collector status gives me a REASON to own restricted weapons and the best part about it...I will have the approval on paper.
That being said...I am still awaiting approval...lol
 
3macs1, obviously we are not going to agree on this.

But . . . I would suggest that the problems you have had in the past came from owning a large number of guns, not from having collector status. You can have collector status and not own any guns, or you can own a gazillion guns and not have collector status. It's not collector status that will create problems; general knowledge that you own a large number of guns can lead to difficulties of various sorts.

It is ok for us not to agree. Give it about 10 years and we will chat again to see what you think then?? How long have you been collector now.Have you had any issues as a result??
Also don't agree on it's the numbers of guns. Mention collector or collector status to most and the light goes off that he owns restricted firearms and even better some prohibited. That it was pulls you out of the group from the average gun owner and attractive to a criminal. He doesn't want my old 28ga that is for sure
Any how take care
 
Congrats!

Some fail to see that the more people that gain this status, the less likelyhood of our being targeted both by criminals and the Gov. Just owning guns leaves you open to bad things perpetrated by both groups however in the case of your Gov you now have one more reason to own firearms. Well done!

More people being recognized by officialdom as having a ligit reason to own firearms can only be a good thing. IMHO
 
Congrats!

Some fail to see that the more people that gain this status, the less likelyhood of our being targeted both by criminals and the Gov. Just owning guns leaves you open to bad things perpetrated by both groups however in the case of your Gov you now have one more reason to own firearms. Well done!

More people being recognized by officialdom as having a ligit reason to own firearms can only be a good thing. IMHO

Thanks Pete04...let's hope more do the same. It only took a week to get it. Letter is officially signed and states "Meets collector conditions"

HAGO
 
I never did get a letter. Just the phone call saying I was approved for collector status and the Broomhandle registered to me as a collector.
 
Not sure what you mean dan.
We are talking about a actual condition added to your licence and recognized by authorities as a reason (at this point, more restrictions may be coming) to purchase firearms without the need to have a gun club membership. If you request your info pkg from CFC, it will be stated in there that you have Collector status and have agreed to the conditions and have passed the requirements to be such.
To the best of my knowledge it is not granted over the phone but must be applied for in writing.
 
Not sure what you mean dan.
We are talking about a actual condition added to your licence and recognized by authorities as a reason (at this point, more restrictions may be coming) to purchase firearms without the need to have a gun club membership. If you request your info pkg from CFC, it will be stated in there that you have Collector status and have agreed to the conditions and have passed the requirements to be such.
To the best of my knowledge it is not granted over the phone but must be applied for in writing.

Pete is right Dan, this must be applied for in writing using form 1101E.
 
I've been asked over the phone whether I wanted certain guns for collecting or target shooting. Some are registered one way, some another. Never had a test, or had to prove any special knowledge, or any such thing. Just lucky, I guess. - dan

I said I wanted one gun for collecting several years ago, because I didn't want to be bothered with faxing my club membership. More recently I asked if I had collector status and was told no because I had not taken the test. I don't believe that individual guns are registered as collector or shooter but rather I think it is the owner who is registered as collector /shooter or shooter only

cheers mooncoon
 
I said I wanted one gun for collecting several years ago, because I didn't want to be bothered with faxing my club membership. More recently I asked if I had collector status and was told no because I had not taken the test. I don't believe that individual guns are registered as collector or shooter but rather I think it is the owner who is registered as collector /shooter or shooter only

cheers mooncoon

I wonder what "test" they are talking about?????
 
I wonder what "test" they are talking about?????

I believe there are a number of questions to demonstrate that you are knowledgeable and have a serious commitment. Things along the lines of "what is the significance of the type of guns you want to collect" and "what books and magazines do you purchase / subscribe to" I don't think the questions are particularly difficult and I don't think the status limits you to one category of gun

cheers mooncoon
 
I believe there are a number of questions to demonstrate that you are knowledgeable and have a serious commitment. Things along the lines of "what is the significance of the type of guns you want to collect" and "what books and magazines do you purchase / subscribe to" I don't think the questions are particularly difficult and I don't think the status limits you to one category of gun

cheers mooncoon

Oh...that test. It's more a questionnaire. Yes, I did that. It's part of the form 1101e. I basically wrote down all the history and knowledge I knew about a couple of handguns I wanted to collect added that information to my application and send it in registered mail to the Provincial Firearms Office. Needless to say, I may never purchase one of them but apparently it does not matter as long as you show an effort and understanding of the history of firearms, safety, and storage regulations.
 
Back
Top Bottom