- Location
- Behind a large rock
I can't see that for some reason.
I'm sure everyone understands your concern and where you are coming from but the reason guys pay $5000+ for one of these guns is so they have an unregistered handgun to shoot modern ammo in.
I can't see that for some reason.
Just a note all them Colts in them pictures have cross pin cylinder releases not one is a black powder framed gun.
Also the first gun in the top picture is a cross pin Bisley not a SAA colt and Colt used the better steel in all the cross pin bisleys. Most of them colts could be modern guns and theres other ways they can be blowin up like that one way is DETONATION
Read up on that guys its when a reloader loads to light a smokeless load in a big case Bingo your guns a granade.
Sure a double load will do it it to or shooting a P load in a gun not designed for it.
Its good to post this stuff from time to time so people stop and think about what there doing.
most of the time its a double load and its very hard to nail something like that down.
But everyone needs to be carefull with any reloading even BP not to get air spaces in the case or with smokeless loading the wrong powder. lotsa ways to screw up.
Buying someone elses reloads is a very bad idea to i see people do that at gun shows there so happy that they saved $5 on a box of ammo with no thoughts as to how they were reloaded.
You can still have cross pin Colt SAA's that are black powder framed revolvers, that's what I was trying to show in my original post. And Colt Bisley's are basically a SAA with a different handle which Colt started making in 1894, two years before Colt switched from iron frames to mild steel frames.
i completely disagree with anyone saying that a converted gun is lost, to me thats a very stupid statement to make. Not only is it ignorant but also selfish. If a gun that is no longer operational or safe to shoot isn't restored and or retrofitted to a modern caliber then that gun becomes a paper weight. I also don't like the fear mongering by the OP, we all know safety is a priority but posting pictures of damaged guns and bleeding hands, really??? Everything Dingus has said is absolutely true, why is it true? because it makes sense. Making bleeding heart statements and pulling statistics is useless and arrogant. The reason failure rate on these converted guns is so low is simply because they are worth so much, if they were cheap accidents would be more common. As long as prices stay high people who buy them will treat them right and not take chances. Buying commercial ammo to me seems far more safe than reloads, far more safe, prove me wrong! I have and will continue to buy commercial 38spl ammo for my converted antique SAA, as there is nothing wrong with that.
i completely disagree with anyone saying that a converted gun is lost, to me thats a very stupid statement to make. Not only is it ignorant but also selfish. If a gun that is no longer operational or safe to shoot isn't restored and or retrofitted to a modern caliber then that gun becomes a paper weight. I also don't like the fear mongering by the OP, we all know safety is a priority but posting pictures of damaged guns and bleeding hands, really??? Everything Dingus has said is absolutely true, why is it true? because it makes sense. Making bleeding heart statements and pulling statistics is useless and arrogant. The reason failure rate on these converted guns is so low is simply because they are worth so much, if they were cheap accidents would be more common. As long as prices stay high people who buy them will treat them right and not take chances. Buying commercial ammo to me seems far more safe than reloads, far more safe, prove me wrong! I have and will continue to buy commercial 38spl ammo for my converted antique SAA, as there is nothing wrong with that.
You can still have cross pin Colt SAA's that are black powder framed revolvers, that's what I was trying to show in my original post. And Colt Bisley's are basically a SAA with a different handle which Colt started making in 1894, two years before Colt switched from iron frames to mild steel frames.
This is the "Blackpowder and Antiques" forum so why are we even talking about Smokeless powder? I suggest this thread be moved to the Smokeless in Antiques sticky.
Whether it's this in this here thread, or that in that there sticky, is irrelevent to the point as I see it Skinny, no offence intended.This is the "Blackpowder and Antiques" forum so why are we even talking about Smokeless powder? I suggest this thread be moved to the Smokeless in Antiques sticky.
Anyone who starts an argument or a retort with "well in France" needs to shake their head. The best way to preserve and antique is to keep it tastefully functional. Reloading absolete cartridges is just asking for trouble. I'm not saying antiques shouldn't be left in their original form, as I hope to own a few of those as wellI don't discriminate nor look down on any firearm.
And Op completely refusing to acknowledge Dingus and others shows his true colours. Instead of latching to a single comment I made why not address what Dingus has said about the legitimacy of the pictures you posted? Truth is you have some sort of a chip on your shoulders and no rational argument will get through to you. So I bid you luck in your reloading.
“The best way to preserve and antique is to keep it tastefully functional.”
Reloading absolete cartridges is just asking for trouble.
I'm not saying antiques shouldn't be left in their original form, as I hope to own a few of those as wellI don't discriminate nor look down on any firearm.



























