BrotherRockeye
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
- Location
- Rural Saskatchewan
the 38spl/.357 one is a matter of interpretation of the laws as written.Literally you could have the .357 as the chambers are longer and although they "will" allow for .38spl they are not designed specifically for that cartridge.
Just because a modern .357 will chamber and fire 38spl does not make it a .38spl,it is still a .357mag.
That said,that is a court case I'd rather not fund!
I think the same is true of the .22mag but because there are differences in the chambering beyond mere length of case it would be easier to show/prove that the chambering is legal as antique.
For proof it would be easy to carry a 2 inch piece of old .22lr barrel to show that a .22 mag will not chamber.The fact that it would in the revolver should make the revolvers designation clear.
But again,another court case I'd rather not fund.
We have to remember that this is all at the discretion of the LEO that happens across you and your antique.That's a chance that has to be weighed with the pros and cons of the endeavor.
jmo
oh and I'd stay away from .38 designations and call the round a .357 minimum or 380Min
Just because a modern .357 will chamber and fire 38spl does not make it a .38spl,it is still a .357mag.
That said,that is a court case I'd rather not fund!
I think the same is true of the .22mag but because there are differences in the chambering beyond mere length of case it would be easier to show/prove that the chambering is legal as antique.
For proof it would be easy to carry a 2 inch piece of old .22lr barrel to show that a .22 mag will not chamber.The fact that it would in the revolver should make the revolvers designation clear.
But again,another court case I'd rather not fund.
We have to remember that this is all at the discretion of the LEO that happens across you and your antique.That's a chance that has to be weighed with the pros and cons of the endeavor.
jmo
oh and I'd stay away from .38 designations and call the round a .357 minimum or 380Min


















































