Cut Shotgun Shells

I have also seen a few videos where the posters refuted the 12/20 condition and did not blow up the gun- a Winchester 1200 I think.
Yeah, I won't try that either! I have seen instances where it has in fact blown barrels up
As was mentioned, it works until it doesn't!
I'm not about to put an oversized projectile into any of my shotguns !
Cat
 
Oh ! Yes I’m fully aware of slugs and it makes sense as if I have this correct and from what I have seen in videos cutting the shell keeps the load together
I was joking,
It's simpler to make the projectile you want in a factory and load it in a shell that has a simple controlled release with minimal plastic going down the barrel and the possibility of reloading the shell if it's high brass and well made.

It's a good work around for converting bird shot into something more lethal but doesn't make sense to manufacture.
 
Cut shells looks like a good defensive round (bears or humans). Hits like a slug THEN scatters the shot inside the body. Seems it would do a lot more internal damage than just a slug and of course much more penetration than shot scattered prior to impact.
 
Oh ! Yes I’m fully aware of slugs and it makes sense as if I have this correct and from what I have seen in videos cutting the shell keeps the load together
So does a slug, only that is more consistent and reliable.


Cut shells looks like a good defensive round (bears or humans). Hits like a slug THEN scatters the shot inside the body. Seems it would do a lot more internal damage than just a slug and of course much more penetration than shot scattered prior to impact.
There is a round that does what you describe. Its called buckshot..

If these bubba type "cut shells" worked reliably and offered some kind of benefit, the factories would make a similar product. That they don't should tell you all you need to know about cut shells.
 
I tried this when I was an ignorant teenager with a Mauser bolt action Geha 16 gauge and paper birdshot rounds. I fired two such rounds and the shot made dense three inch diameter patterns in a spruce tree trunk at 20 yards. I told the local game warden about this and he explained in plain terms about increased pressures, ground down locking lugs on the Geha's bolt, and why it was foolish to do this. I never tried it again.

As mentioned above, buckshot, or SSGs achieve pretty much the same effect.
 
Cut shells looks like a good defensive round (bears or humans). Hits like a slug THEN scatters the shot inside the body. Seems it would do a lot more internal damage than just a slug and of course much more penetration than shot scattered prior to impact.

Nope. The problem with a cut shell is penetration. It helps keep the load together longer but as soon as it hits something those pellets are spreading everywhere. They lack the cohesiveness of a slug, leading to shallow superficial wounds in comparison. They're fun, but it's a novelty item/SHTF fantasy - something to get more out of a birdshot shell if that's all you had, not a legit "better than factory slugs/buck" option.
 
Back
Top Bottom