Cut Shotgun Shells

I miss Barry's video's with IV8888, ....
RIP Barry.

Agreed. RIP to Barry. The rest of the channel can get F'd though, bunch of good review selling swindlers if you ask me.

[One of their contracts was leaked like 10 years ago, and for enough money (and it was only like $4k iirc?) they would basically guarantee a good review as long as you kept supplying them with guns until they got one that worked reliably enough to film said positive review]
 
I am thinking the theory of "cut shells" must be to have front end of case go up the barrel - relying on the case wall, rather than the wad, to hold the birdshot together? I am sure it would fly like a "Solid", if the shotgun could take the firing - no clue what would happen when it hits, though - I have some #2 Buckshot 3" 20 gauge - if that is not enough, is myriad of various centre fire rifles, here. If I have to go out at night for black bear in yard here, is a 9.3x62 for that role.
 
I am thinking the theory of "cut shells" must be to have front end of case go up the barrel - relying on the case wall, rather than the wad, to hold the birdshot together?

Yes. That's the basic idea. The case separates where you cut it and the whole front of the shell travels as basically one piece for some amount of time.

It's generally not recommended for guns with chokes for obvious reasons.
 
I feel like this may leave some plastic fouling. Think the dishwasher would be a good idea to clean the barrel after ?
Perhaps, I mean, we all know how effective a dishwasher can be, but as I recall that incident was only performed to remove cosmoline. Plastic fouling would likely remain intact, even through a stringent "Sani-rinse".

I haven't tried to shoot into space lately, and would still like an answer on its appropriateness for dispatching bear, but if plastic fouling ever becomes present, I mean, I'm reaching for the fix all. The most expensive product our supermarkets stock, or at least the product that has inexplicably jumped 400% in price lately and is still waxy sh1t to eat...BUTTER! {I'd recommend unsalted for the barrel}

 
Oh ! Yes I’m fully aware of slugs and it makes sense as if I have this correct and from what I have seen in videos cutting the shell keeps the load together
They don't cycle through a pump or auto shotgun from the magazine very well at all.

I've shot a lot these years ago when Indiana had a shot gun, slug only deer seasons. Of course these weren't legal for deer either but it sure killed them dead as a door nail. Kill a lot more coyotes with them than anything else. If you were carrying a slug and the warden check you during say turkey, squirrels, rabbit seasons when there was no deer season you had a LOT of questions to answer.

But you could cut one of those rabbit loads or a turkey load and take out a coyote at 50 yards or more with them. We shot them through every kind of junk you might find around an OLD farm testing them and they'll go right through an old car door.
 
Nope. The problem with a cut shell is penetration. It helps keep the load together longer but as soon as it hits something those pellets are spreading everywhere. They lack the cohesiveness of a slug, leading to shallow superficial wounds in comparison. They're fun, but it's a novelty item/SHTF fantasy - something to get more out of a birdshot shell if that's all you had, not a legit "better than factory slugs/buck" option.
I've seen them go right through both sides of an old car, both doors. I wouldn't want to bet my life on it but I would before I'd count on bird shot doing that.
 
Back
Top Bottom