Dixie Arms .32 RF adapters, opinions?

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
This seems like a more reasonable spot to ask than the Ammo forum.
Someone here must have used them before. I realize that they need to be indexed properly for the firing pin to contact the 22 RF blank round.
Do they work OK in revolvers if they are inserted carefully ?
I can aquire several .32 caliber wheelguns that are antiques, but...well ammo is another issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Tokguy
 
I had the same question earlier this year and ended up figuring it out myself with help from a few guys: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427850

It's easy and inexpensive. I tried the "Dixie Arms" solution, but then we came up with a better way. Here's what I did:

You need:

- 27 Cal Ramset Powder Charge - "Green" has about 2.3 grs of powder, "Brown" has about 1.7 grs

- Winchester 32 Short Colt Brass. It's a bit shorter than 32 Long Colt, but easy to find (you have to make 32 Long Colt from 32 S&W)

- a 0.311-0.313" Round Ball Weighs about 48 grs

- a 17/64" and a "Q" (or a 21/64") drill. A lathe is the best way to drill the holes.

To apply this to a larger round like the 38 RF, you have to offset the holes so the the rim of the Ramset is against the edge of the brass. I'd make a jig to hold the brass off centre and use a 17/64" end mill to make the cut. (my next project).

The beauty of this setup is that the Ramset is both the primer and the powder charge, and you don't have to line up the round to align with the firing pin. The powder seems to be like Bullseye in Burn Rate (fast) and for my Remington #4 Rolling Block, "Green" contains a suitably mild charge for a 48 gr Round Ball. Brown 27 Cal charges are very difficult to find, and are required IMO if you go heavier than the 48 gr Round Ball. Firearms not as strong as the #4 would require caution using the Ramset charge - you might want to empty the powder and replace it will blackpowder, or a suitable smokeless charge.

I press the Ramset into place by squeezing it in using a vise - once in place, I do the same with the Round Ball, then put a dab of Alox on it.
27_Cal_Ramset_32_Short_Colt_Round_Ball.jpg

Drill a two step hole into the base of the 32 Short Colt Brass - a 17/64" all the way through the web, then a shallow 0.332" ("Q" drill), deep enough that the Ramset charge sits flush. Notice how the firing pin nicely strikes the edge of the Ramset.

32_Short_Colt_27_Cal_Ramset.jpg


A shot of the two-step hole, and a fired Ramset Charge. The Aluminum Block has a "Q" drill sized hole (I have since drilled a shallow hole the diameter of the rim, (to centre the cartridge over the hole). I use it to deprime using a metal rod and a small hammer.

32_Short_Colt_27_Cal_Ramset_Deprimer.jpg

__________________
 
Last edited:
get ahold of 870 . he makes them also .

I've had a number of requests for the ones I do but have been short on time. I'll be making a run this coming week if there is enough interest. Mine are brass and use a .32 round ball with a .22 acorn blank. My personal experience with the .27 hilti blanks was that they are made of brass and much harder to strike. Some of the lighter hitting antique guns especiallt DA revolvers don't always set them off compared to the .22 acorn caps which are soft copper and almost always fire.
 
I've had a number of requests for the ones I do but have been short on time. I'll be making a run this coming week if there is enough interest. Mine are brass and use a .32 round ball with a .22 acorn blank. My personal experience with the .27 hilti blanks was that they are made of brass and much harder to strike. Some of the lighter hitting antique guns especiallt DA revolvers don't always set them off compared to the .22 acorn caps which are soft copper and almost always fire.

Good point there - I hadn't noticed in on the one gun I've tried them in, but I can see it being a potential problem.

Lots of pros and cons here:

- 22 acorns are softer and might be all that works in some guns
- 22 acorns are cheaper
- 22 acorns are lower powered and can be used alone or with a pinch of powder in all guns
- 27 Hiltis are easy to find locally (they can be bought at Home Depot)
- 27 Hiltis are more powerful (no need to add powder, or it can be removed)
- 27 Hiltis are large enough that they work centred in a 32 cal cartridge (much easier to machine, and doesn't need to be "indexed" to be fired).
 
If you thin the rim of the parent shell and set the blank about .010" proud, the firing pin is not using up energy on the brass rim of the parent shell. In the photos above, that is not an issue because the firing pin is round but on shells with a blade type pin it can be a problem

cheers mooncoon
 
I've had a number of requests for the ones I do but have been short on time. I'll be making a run this coming week if there is enough interest. Mine are brass and use a .32 round ball with a .22 acorn blank. My personal experience with the .27 hilti blanks was that they are made of brass and much harder to strike. Some of the lighter hitting antique guns especiallt DA revolvers don't always set them off compared to the .22 acorn caps which are soft copper and almost always fire.

How much are you charging for these?

And do you even need a die to resize them to reload?
 
Yeah, as of right now I don't own any antiques, but I think I am going to have to change that!

Have seen some nice little pocket pistols under $500, and it would nice to have something without all the hassles of the restricted firearms.

But even when I do get one, I will still not have one. If you catch my drift.
 
Great post Andy. With your setup one could get a Marlin 1892 in .32RF and be able to reliably shoot the ammo through it because there wouldn't be an indexing issue.

PS, where do you get the parent brass?
 
Back
Top Bottom