NorthCoastBigBore
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- Northwest BC (Rural) 103-I-##
People malign the Favorite actions all the time but I absolutely love the lines of these (and many of the other Stevens' actions, as well as H&A and really most of the falling or swinging-block style rifles. The Quackenbushes, the Hamiltons etc also have their appeal... that deserves a new thread though).
One of my "favorite" rifles this year (ya that's a pun) has been my 1894 Favorite that I converted to CF and have been shooting mostly with .32 LONG Colt made from .32 S&W brass.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...2-RF-to-32-Colt-(Another-Project-Checked-Off)
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1660641-32-Long-Colt-from-32-S-amp-W-Brass
I made an adjustable tang vernier sight for it over the winter and have been bringing this little gem out with me just every trip.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1718345-Project-Tang-Vernier-Sight-for-Favorite
Last month I got an Old West Mold crimping die, which is amazing, although I have to find the sweet spot as my groups did open up with it. BUT I highly recommend it for any heeled bullet, it's simple but effective and I no longer have the hassle of rounds not staying put.
My best 25 yard group (without the proper crimp):
Things opened up a lot with too heavy a crimp, starting to find the balance now but still aways from the best group... I've put hundreds of these .32 longs and shorts through this thing this year, have yet to lose a case too. Today I was playing around with it again having watched my groups tighten up again, this was pretty representative of where it is at the moment:
I will get it back to where it was, and in any event it still rings steel like crazy. Now it's dang near 40 here today so there are other factors at play today, but that's fairly consistent with what I've been seein'. I love these little .32 CFs. I do have a stash of .32 short Colt brass and sometimes run 50 through it, they are noticeably less accurate than the long brass (note those are now trimmed to 0.860" to use the heeled bullet).
The little .32s are cheap to shoot, quiet, and what the heck they are just plain CUTE sitting on the bench right? They look like scaled up .22 LR but with a bit of class, like a Packard (because they had class and a lot a potential but ended up being left in the dust).
Happy Shootin'
One of my "favorite" rifles this year (ya that's a pun) has been my 1894 Favorite that I converted to CF and have been shooting mostly with .32 LONG Colt made from .32 S&W brass.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...2-RF-to-32-Colt-(Another-Project-Checked-Off)
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1660641-32-Long-Colt-from-32-S-amp-W-Brass
I made an adjustable tang vernier sight for it over the winter and have been bringing this little gem out with me just every trip.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1718345-Project-Tang-Vernier-Sight-for-Favorite
Last month I got an Old West Mold crimping die, which is amazing, although I have to find the sweet spot as my groups did open up with it. BUT I highly recommend it for any heeled bullet, it's simple but effective and I no longer have the hassle of rounds not staying put.
My best 25 yard group (without the proper crimp):
Things opened up a lot with too heavy a crimp, starting to find the balance now but still aways from the best group... I've put hundreds of these .32 longs and shorts through this thing this year, have yet to lose a case too. Today I was playing around with it again having watched my groups tighten up again, this was pretty representative of where it is at the moment:
I will get it back to where it was, and in any event it still rings steel like crazy. Now it's dang near 40 here today so there are other factors at play today, but that's fairly consistent with what I've been seein'. I love these little .32 CFs. I do have a stash of .32 short Colt brass and sometimes run 50 through it, they are noticeably less accurate than the long brass (note those are now trimmed to 0.860" to use the heeled bullet).
The little .32s are cheap to shoot, quiet, and what the heck they are just plain CUTE sitting on the bench right? They look like scaled up .22 LR but with a bit of class, like a Packard (because they had class and a lot a potential but ended up being left in the dust).
Happy Shootin'


















































