Factory ammo with a dented case - safe to use?

sparq

Regular
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Ottawa
I picked up my first box of .357 the other day and by chance noticed that one round shows a couple of dents in the brass. The box and styrofoam are pristine, so it must have happened before it was packed. I'm new to anything but .22 and shotguns, so I'm not sure how common this is or what I should do with it. Can I fire it if it'll chamber, or am I asking for a jam/worse? If I can't fire it, what can I do with it? The corresponding gun is on order, so no rush to find out - a revolver, if that matters. It's Winchester 110gr JHP.

357dent.jpg


I ran a few searches, but I've only found entries about damaged case mouths on the reloading forum.

Thanks
 
Yep, I'd figure about the same. I'm just wondering whether this is something I should expect to see often with factory ammo, or if it's unusual.
 
I doubt it would chamber from the looks of the dent, but if it did, I would have no problem at all shooting it. As an added bonus, the brass will be in PERFECT condition after firing.:)
 
Send a picture of it to the ammunition manufacturer. Its very likely they may compensate you in some way. Maybe a voucher for a free box of ammo? Ya never know.
 
I really can't see any danger of a KABOOM. It will be chambered in a 357 revolver. If it fits in the chamber, and doesn't hang up so the cylinder cannot be closed, then, like Joe says, the wrinkle will be fireformed out, and it will look like new.

One of the beauties of living in the post-Firearms Act Canada, where every gun owner has to take the safety course, or at least read the propaganda, is that we are all convinced guns are unsafe, dangerous, and it is only the bravest most macho men who can dare to shoot them.

Take a deep breath, relax. have fun. Shooting is about the safest sport known to mankind, and it was that before our dumb gun laws took the fun out of it.
 
+2 on this. They need the lot number especially to track the batch.

^^^^ Could you explain your logic on thinking this dented round will cause higher than normal pressures?

while it will cause higher pressures early in the pressure curve, i doubt it will cause an increase of maximum pressure
 
I don't think that is an unsafe round. If it would chamber in my gun, I would shoot it. It looks not worse than bottleneck cases that I have fired that had lube dents in them. But if you feel unsure, pull the bullet, oil the primer and dispose of the case.
 
Thanks gentlemen, lots of ideas here. I'll likely contact Winchester first (though their contact page is broken and lists no email address), and figure it out from there. The other 49 are good to go when my gun arrives though :D

Happy New Year!
 
Last edited:
It's a non-issue if the round can chamber without forcing it. It's no different from cases that are dented from excessive sizing lube or the way some semiauto rifles leave dents in the case body that aren't removed by resizing.
 
Back
Top Bottom