Flint knapper in the US

Thanks Guys, not the guy I'm thinking of , the one that I know of is a Dr and does it for "therapy" from Mississouri ? and the flints are white, quite different from the European flints, lots of spark, but wear a little differently.About 1/3 rd of the price of Tom Fullers also.
Cheers nessy.
 
Thanks Guys, not the guy I'm thinking of , the one that I know of is a Dr and does it for "therapy" from Mississouri ? and the flints are white, quite different from the European flints, lots of spark, but wear a little differently.About 1/3 rd of the price of Tom Fullers also.
Cheers nessy.


Rich Pierce sells knapped white flints out of that part of the states. I don't think he is a doctor though.
He does make beautiful rifles.
I have all sorts of lapidary tools unused around here, so I am going to start making my own cut flints.

Just as soon as I get a million other things done around here.:bangHead:
 
Rich Pierce sells knapped white flints out of that part of the states. I don't think he is a doctor though.
He does make beautiful rifles.
I have all sorts of lapidary tools unused around here, so I am going to start making my own cut flints.

Just as soon as I get a million other things done around here.:bangHead:

Must be the guy. His email address is rpierce@dom.wustl.edu. which is at the Washington University of St. Louis, so I.m guessing that the is a PHD.
 
When you said flintknapper, I thought you meant this kind of knapping

Clovis20Technology20book.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Thanks guys, Rich Pierce is the guy I was thinking of. I was talking to an Archeologist who works in Alberta, they sometimes unearth flints that were used by indians as tools etc. and they are able to determine where they came from.I gave him a Tom Fuller and one of Riches flints, and a firelighting kit.
Took a pic of the flints for comparison , the dark one is the English Tom Fuller.

flintsandtugboat003.jpg


firelighting kit.
firelighting006.jpg


Cheers nessy
 
When you said flintknapper, I thought you meant this kind of knapping

Clovis20Technology20book.jpg
[/IMG]

It is the same principal. The blades which are struck from the core are worked only on the ends instead of knapped along all sides to produce a projectile point.

On the original point, Rich Pierce currently has a 30 order backlog and is now only selling a dozen flints at a time to give everyone some hope of getting his flints. His flints are very popular.
 
I bought a couple of dozen and a couple of striker flints a few years ago. I found they were hard, a bit harder than some english flints i had, well they are chert. They are however very nice.
 
It is the same principal. The blades which are struck from the core are worked only on the ends instead of knapped along all sides to produce a projectile point.

I know how it works. I've been a flintknaper for close to twenty years. I must have half a ton of good flint in my garage. A few of my points below

arrowheads001.jpg
[/IMG]

arrowheads003.jpg
[/IMG]

arrowheads006.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Well, if you can shape points like those, I have every confidence in your gun flints!

Shaping points is truly an art form, I've met a few people who can do it functionally but not to that level. I can't even get one started (they just break).

But I don't want to hijack the thread - so - Happy shootin'
 
Back
Top Bottom