flintlock shotgun definition?

thebigslide

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
As the title says. Which reg specifies what constitutes a shotgun when it comes to flinters?

Is it possible for a post '98 flintlock shotgun handgun to be classified antique?
 
What is a shotgun handgun? A smoothbore pistol? A smoothbore pistol with a long barrel?
Maybe if you were to describe the firearm, someone might find it easier to answer your question.
 
What is a shotgun handgun? A smoothbore pistol? A smoothbore pistol with a long barrel?
Maybe if you were to describe the firearm, someone might find it easier to answer your question.

Ahh, I'm speaking in hypotheticals and thinking about making something - if possible.

I wouldn't mind something like one of the pedersoli bounty hunter pistols with a 10 inch ish barrel but a larger, smooth bore dia - and perhaps with a slight choke. Something that could kill a grouse, rabbit or squirrel with #7.5 and is legal to carry in the bush.

But the real question remains - in which regulation would I find that classification.
 
As it stands any handgun made after 1898 is restricted or prohibited,I have a replica Queen Anne (1660-1780) .50 cal. smoothbore and I store it next to my other restricted's with a trigger lock...as per regulations.
 
Regulations?
Antique Firearms Regulations, plus the section defining restricted firearms.
But you are not going to find exactly what you are looking for.
Any flintlock over 26" overall is going to be an antique. Something like a canoe gun, less than 26", might be non-restricted, just as the Mare's Leg is non-restricted.
I would suggest that if it is under 26", has a pistol grip, and looks like a long barrelled pistol, its going to be restricted.
 
Skinny, I was under the understanding that flintlocks are out side the regulations as they are not considered a firearm unless a crime is committed using one. (Ie holding up a bank with your Queen Anne pistol is still armed robbery)
You can even buy one without a firearms license.
 
Flintlock longarms are antiques. Post 1897 flintlock pistols are restricted or prohibited.
I believe that the OP is wondering about when a flintlock ceases being a longarm and becomes a pistol.
 
I think in theory that if I took the flint lock off of my Queen Anne and used a fuse to ignite it then it would be non restricted...I am not going to do that..just saying.
I would probably have to call the CFO to have the gun re-classified.
The flint has been working so good that I am going to keep it.
 
even if you find a antique pistol you still cant hunt with it

as its still a handgun even being antique

and muzzlelaoding handgun made before 1897 is antique

any muzzleloading handgun made after 1898 is restricted or prohibited

if the gun is made to be used with 2 hands and its flintlock thats about 24" or over its antique no matter when it was made
 
A handgun is defined as being designed to be shot with one hand. I think you will find that near the beginning of section 84 of the criminal code. Most long gun stocks would be roughly 14" long, so as long as you had barrels longer than 13" and a conventional butt stock you would have a antique long gun and as an antique, presumably it would escape being classed as a restricted long gun. The other side of the equation is that I think that ultra short barreled long guns are mostly for playing mind games. I think you would find an 18" barrel(s) much more practical.

Keep in mind that I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV

cheers mooncoon
 
I think in theory that if I took the flint lock off of my Queen Anne and used a fuse to ignite it then it would be non restricted...I am not going to do that..just saying.
I would probably have to call the CFO to have the gun re-classified.
The flint has been working so good that I am going to keep it.


No, it would still be restricted. All pistols made after 1897 are either restricted or prohibited. Source of ignition is irrelevant.
 
Someone want to make a reproduction flintlock/matchlock pistol-carbine and test the waters?

06FrenchPistolCarbine1850.jpg


14USArmyPistolCarbineModel1855.jpg
 
Someone want to make a reproduction flintlock/matchlock pistol-carbine and test the waters?

remember that both of those have removeable stocks added to a gun designed to be shot with one hand. A modern reproduction would still be a handgun and restricted.
Also having shot a enfield pistol with a shoulder stock once, I can tell you that you get an awful facefull of powder residue. They are not designed to be shot close to your face

cheers mooncoon
 
Hah! So I would imagine!

Really, though: Does it have to be a reproduction of a specific firearm to be considered an "antique", or is it any flintlock/matchlock/wheellock long-gun? All the modern muzzle-loaders I've seen used percussion caps.
 
No, it does not have to be a reproduction of a specific arm.
There are quite a number of modern flintlocks; not many match or wheellocks.
 
You can't hunt with a handgun in any case.
Ahh, I'm speaking in hypotheticals and thinking about making something - if possible.

I wouldn't mind something like one of the pedersoli bounty hunter pistols with a 10 inch ish barrel but a larger, smooth bore dia - and perhaps with a slight choke. Something that could kill a grouse, rabbit or squirrel with #7.5 and is legal to carry in the bush.

But the real question remains - in which regulation would I find that classification.
 
Back
Top Bottom