Possibly, it is so difficult to tell what caused it. Aside from a handling mark on the left side of the pistol grip and some middle band dings near that portion of the stock, the rest of the rifle is immaculate with only worn bluing to worry about. Every part matches, right down to the screws. I was blown away when I found her and even more so when I realized the very good condition of the bore. I hope you all understand my longing to take her to the range after seeing the images.
The only thing missing is the rear sling swivel and screw which I am working on obtaining. Once that is done, I can finally mount this sling I obtained.
Issued to the 2nd Company of the 10th Grenadier-Regt. König Friedrich Wilhelm II (1.Schlesisches), Ersatz regiment.
(stationed in Schweidnitz) . Attached to the VI Armee Korps. Weapon number 130. This posting puts her about 80km from Posen where my great grandfather was born.
Just look at how complex the internals are and how this section has not been taken apart in well over a century.
My apologizes for the mass amount of photos but I feel it would give you all a better picture of her overall condition. I am proud to say that her serial number would most likely place her being manufactured in Spring of 1888, before the Gewehr 88 made an appearance and during the "Year of Three Emperors". This would also have made her Germany's front line infantry weapon during that period until the Gewehr 88 came in six months later. She may also have seen limited service on the Eastern front against the Russians but I'm not sure about this one.