Gun grabbed by customs

Called the RCMP and the letter is on the way, also spoke to the hardhead at customs who didn't even know it was a blackpowder gun, he sounded surprised he also said he thought it was an antique but was told to flag it anyway. Next he told me I had to appeal in writing and today I got a registered letter from them saying the same thing. Everything is faxed to them
so I'll talk to them again tomorrow.
 
I imported a 2" bulldog which isn't even in FRT. Get the guy to call technician at CFC and they will straighten him up. Been there done that, was detained by customs for 2 1/2 hours and given ####ty treatment until they finally agreed to call CFC (after claiming for 2 hours that 'they don't use CFC because they have their own intelligence unit').
 
I imported a 2" bulldog which isn't even in FRT. Get the guy to call technician at CFC and they will straighten him up. Been there done that, was detained by customs for 2 1/2 hours and given s**tty treatment until they finally agreed to call CFC (after claiming for 2 hours that 'they don't use CFC because they have their own intelligence unit').

You did good Because you said THE GUY!!!! Big Diffrence

Women are not so easy to Convince.
I spent alot of time argueing with a Customs woman Years ago on the Phone Trying to Explain about Antique Firearms Rules ect.
She was a Supervisor to!
I gave up went over her Head Because she was a power hungry #####!!!! Simple as that.

The Women i deal with Now on the Phone ( At Vancouver Customs) are Great Freindly Polite go outa there way to be helpfull since there cheif set them strait on the rules.
Ive never had to deal with that Battle axe one again. :D
 
Last edited:
You did good Because you said THE GUY!!!! Big Diffrence

I did not mention that the guy was augmented with a rabidly anti gun girl that kept accusing me of importing a restricted weapon w/o license and registration. Just out of respect to women in general.
 
I did not mention that the guy was augmented with a rabidly anti gun girl that kept accusing me of importing a restricted weapon w/o license and registration. Just out of respect to women in general.

My usual response to law enforcement types accusing me of criminal activity is "CHARGE ME". And I keep repeating it. The onus is then on them to act on their accusations and come up with a credible charge. Which they all of a sudden can't. It also shows that I am not afraid of them. They have always backed down.
 
My usual response to law enforcement types accusing me of criminal activity is "CHARGE ME". And I keep repeating it. The onus is then on them to act on their accusations and come up with a credible charge. Which they all of a sudden can't. It also shows that I am not afraid of them. They have always backed down.

The problem is that they can always recommend phony charges that cost you a bundle to defend yourself against. Law enforcement officers do not lay charges they recommend them to prosecutors who are the ones that actually lay the charges. In the meantime your goods have been confiscated and you have to hire a lawyer and the cop or customs agent gets no criticism for false information.

cheers mooncoon
 
I can attest to the fact that most CBSA front line people have no frikken clue about the laws pertaining to firearms. I run into bone-heads on a regular basis that want firearms licenses, firearms DEALER licenses and a raft of other retarded requests just with the importation of barrels (they are NOT a firearm) . I particularly love it when they try and sound tough and official on the phone. When you quote them chapter and verse from the Firearms act they have tended to back down. I typically get a phone call from someone other than the hard nose, who now tells me my shipments have re-entered the postal stream.
 
I can attest to the fact that most CBSA front line people have no frikken clue about the laws pertaining to firearms

deal with the weapons branch. They do know their stuff and are very polite and helpful.
I'd choose the weapons branch of the CBSA over a dozen other Gov agenices for proffessionalism.
 
Police officers lay charges. Crown attorneys prosecute the charges that are laid. In a particularly serious or complicated case if the officer is not sure he has reasonable and probable grounds he consults the Crown Attorney. If a PO lays a charge without having R&PG he would / should be in a barrel of crap! Charges are sworn to in front of a Justice of the Peace. Officers can't lay charges on speculation.
 
Oh Boy that dont sound good.
Appeal the Decision in Writeing usally meens hes gone ahead and just Seized the gun.
Tho theres a 30 Day period that there Cheif of customs can change that!

Get on the phone NOW and start Squeeking! the Squeeky wheel gets the Grease.
I know i done Plenty of Squeeking to Customs when my two like new S&W DAs were seized by that Customs Witch!

The Cheif of the Vancouver Customs Overturned her Desision on one gun BUT 30 days had gone by on the other so i had to go thru the Appeal system which took 4 Months and was a Nightmare.

Just to correct wrong info:

You have 90 days to appeal a seizure.

After 90 days you must seek permission from the Recourse Directorate in Ottawa, address listed on your seizure receipt.
 
Just to correct wrong info:

You have 90 days to appeal a seizure.

After 90 days you must seek permission from the Recourse Directorate in Ottawa, address listed on your seizure receipt.

Yes thats True BUT.......

The Local cheif of Customs (mine was in Vancouver)can over rule a Seizure by any of his Officers if you get him on it Before 30 Days has gone by Avoiding the entire Nightmare of the Appeal process.
This is what i was told by the Cheif.

I know i had Two guns seized by my Witch and one he could not Release cause it had been there over 30 Days.
Once the Local Customs have it 30 Days then you have 90 Days to Appeal to the Recourse Directorate to Over turn the Seizure.

I did that got my appeal in and won after 4 Months of Waiting.

But if you can get the Item released before the FRIST 30 Days has gone by BY THE LOCAL CUSTOMS then you Avoid the Long Nightmare of the Appeal.
They can Hold stuff Without fileing the Seizure.

My guns were Seized!!!! Not just Held pending more info ECT.

Hey i Know i went thru the Nightmare with my other S&W that was in there longer than 30 Days.

That Recourse Directorate there a Fun bunch to deal with....... NOT
Sticking your dink in a leghold trap would be more fun!
 
Last edited:
Police officers lay charges. Crown attorneys prosecute the charges that are laid.

nope the crown decides to prosecute or not prosecute. No reasonable chance of conviction= no prosecution. Want to try again, stay the charges and investigate further.

I am sure many would like to believe that any 6 week trained LEO can infaliabley lay charges that result in prosecution attempts but that is not the case.
 
Last edited:
"...my hubby has a prohib license..." That doesn't matter. You can't import any prohibited firearms.

Antique status over rides Prohib status this is a antique firearm that Jetfueler is trying to bring in it is not classed as Prohib or restricted it does not require registration. But you are correct you can not import a Prohib.
 
Faxed the antique status letter to the witch and she said she had a look at the gun but had to call the tech before she made her decision. I'm hoping the tech will straighten her out. I only wish they would educate these people on our already strict laws so these clowns dont make up their own. Anyway guys we just keep fighting.
 
Good luck. They destroyed the non-firing replicas we ordered from the US, because they are prohibited in Canada. We challenged on the basis that my hubby has a prohib license, but to no avail. It pisses me off that I can buy the real thing with my restricted, but the non- firing replicas are crushed. I seriously hope you have better luck.

Thats because, regardless of your Prohib PAL, the Non-firing "Replicas" are NOT considered Firearms. They are exactly what you said, replicas. A replica firearm in Canada is a prohibited device.

I agree 100% it is a dumb ass law. But, since when do any of our Gun laws make sense?!
 
I imported a 2" bulldog which isn't even in FRT. Get the guy to call technician at CFC and they will straighten him up. Been there done that, was detained by customs for 2 1/2 hours and given s**tty treatment until they finally agreed to call CFC (after claiming for 2 hours that 'they don't use CFC because they have their own intelligence unit').


Sounds like you had some real douche bag officers. Get badge numbers, file a complaint.

...on the flip side, when you get an Officer who knows his/her stuff, call in and give praise.

Its the only way to get a positive change.

I work for the CBSA, I'll often see a fellow officer seizing some dude's BB gun, calling it a replica...or whatever.(I'll correct them when I can) Not everyone shoots or hunts or whatever. Can't blame the lacky at the counter for not having the same interests as us. The CBSA enforces over 120 acts and regulations. It's imposible to remember all of them. What you CAN blame the lacky for is, If he/she don't know the answer, ASK someone who does!! I feel badly for people who get F***ed over by stubborn Customs officers.

Even when I import stuff, I'll print off the regs on that item....Just in case!?!?
 
Back
Top Bottom