Gun grabbed by customs

Sounds like you had some real douche bag officers. Get badge numbers, file a complaint.

...on the flip side, when you get an Officer who knows his/her stuff, call in and give praise.

Oh, none of them seems to know anything about antique firearms.
I did not want to make a big noise about that incident, but now every gun owner importing antiques thru the Lewiston bridge in Niagara will fly thru customs, because I took the time to explain things and they confirmed that I was right and have a CFC tech number handy.

This is what I call a positive change!
 
Finally good news guys. I got a letter from Canada Border control and the witch has released my gun. She had to call the tech at RCMP to find out stuff
about her job she should have known in the first place.Anyway all's well.
 
Last edited:
Police officers lay charges. Crown attorneys prosecute the charges that are laid. In a particularly serious or complicated case if the officer is not sure he has reasonable and probable grounds he consults the Crown Attorney. If a PO lays a charge without having R&PG he would / should be in a barrel of crap! Charges are sworn to in front of a Justice of the Peace. Officers can't lay charges on speculation.

Just FYI...this depends on the jurisdiction. In BC it is the policy that the police can only recommend charges to crown. Then crown goes through the charge approval process, and then a suspect is charged...I understand that in most other provinces the police actually do lay charges, but not the case in BC.
 
Just FYI...this depends on the jurisdiction. In BC it is the policy that the police can only recommend charges to crown. Then crown goes through the charge approval process, and then a suspect is charged...I understand that in most other provinces the police actually do lay charges, but not the case in BC.

This is true.
 
POlice always lay the charges. Crown attorneys can make recommendations but never lay a charge....if they did they would have to testify in all cases and that isn't going to happen. Great to hear someone grew a brain in this issue.
 
Ladies and Gents the gun finally arrived.
ColtThunderershopkeepersmodel002.jpg
 
That looks like one of those short barreled gangster guns. No wonder they seized it. :D Congratulations finally.
 
Good luck. They destroyed the non-firing replicas we ordered from the US, because they are prohibited in Canada. We challenged on the basis that my hubby has a prohib license, but to no avail. It pisses me off that I can buy the real thing with my restricted, but the non- firing replicas are crushed. I seriously hope you have better luck.

You can order non firing antique firearms from a Canadian company ww.jastroarmory.com

Period from 1700's to 1873
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice example!

Sure is I like it alot :)
Love that Sambar stag!

Ive had little short barreled Webley Metros that had only 2 inch barrels checked by Customs and then shiped on thru no Problem.

This is a sweet little gun.
Good work being like Ugly on and ape and getting it Realeased. :D
 
Great little gun and good work getting it released and all the paper sorted.
The new owner is going to be pleased me thinks. I am not surprised though that a shopkeeper model had issues with customs. You would think they would have one guy in each office who knows antiques of all types not just guns so they could send anything to a specialist but that makes to much sense.
 
Blasted customs. What a hassle for something legit. :(

Well, I bought a camera that was over the exemption limit and the bone head taxed me on everything. I said how come? What if I'm $1 over my exemption, aren't you suppose to tax me on anything that is over my exemption limit? She said, no, that is the law. I should I have asked for proof but I didn't b/c she was mean. 1/2 year later, I re-opened my case that the bone head was indeed 110% wrong and I was right. I sent customs a letter with all my proof and how long I'd stayed in the US and after a phone call, I was refunded my $$$.

I like the idea of owning antiques. I had no idea that revolvers could be carried out and shot in the bush for target shooting. That would be nice. :) What's a good starter antique and price that is easy to reload?

I looked at the 44 russian but they're over $2.5k! :eek:

BTW, very nice revolver!

Thanks!
 
I agree with Dez.
Get the CFC Antique RCMP letter frist.
Might take a week or three but if the sellers paid they will wait for it.
Unless you have a FRT disc to check you would be guessing what it says.

Never had a gun seized or held with a CFC RCMP letter in there.

Tho the FRT disc is getting better its a work in progress still.

I had Two S&W DA 44 Russian model Revolvers Seized by Vancouver customs about 4 Years ago cause of that FRT disc.
I got both guns back but fun it was not :(

Tho i recently imported a Cheep little Gun (without that CFC letter) that was listed on the FRT Disc as all Antique.
In that ONE case i had the FRT # listed with some info from books showing all that model of gun in that Caliber are Antique.

Funny cause that one was never opened LOL

That's good advice, i get the RCMP letter and send it to the seller to put in the box with the gun. Never had a problem yet, although time in customs varies from hours to days - sometimes Customs contacts CFC to verify the letter is real, sometimes not.
 
I like the idea of owning antiques. I had no idea that revolvers could be carried out and shot in the bush for target shooting. That would be nice. :) What's a good starter antique and price that is easy to reload?

I looked at the 44 russian but they're over $2.5k! :eek:

BTW, very nice revolver!

Thanks!

I would say a webley but those seem to be quite popular right now and I have seen them for over 2.5K on this sight. Maybe look for a Colt DA, I got mine in the US for under $1000.
 
Good luck. They destroyed the non-firing replicas we ordered from the US, because they are prohibited in Canada. We challenged on the basis that my hubby has a prohib license, but to no avail. It pisses me off that I can buy the real thing with my restricted, but the non- firing replicas are crushed. I seriously hope you have better luck.
They were correct in your case, unfortuantly. The OP will win his dispute if the gun meets the regs.
 
Okay, sorry the noob question (google not helping me). What is FRT disc?

Man, all this antique talk making me want an antique revolver. :)

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom