I have had problems ramming a ball down occasionally, because of dry patches or double patching etc. After having to use a metal rod to seat a ball a couple of weeks ago, I came up with an idea to temporarily increase the weight of the ramrod. Basically started with a piece of 1/2" brass about 4" long and turned it to about .470 so that it would slide down my 50 cal barrel without sticking, and turned the last 1/2 " down further to about .430 so that the patch could not wrap around the tip and jam it. Other end I drill about 1/2" deep and 3/8" diameter hold to fit over the end of my ramrod tip and drilled and tapped further to take an 8/32 screw. Purpose of the hole was to prevent the heavy end from wobbling and potentially breaking the screw.
I tried it out yesterday when fouling was building up a bit and it seems to work quite well. It only weighs a little over 2 oz but I can definitely feel the extra weight and it gives the ball an extra shove that make the difference between a difficult to seat ball and being able to seat the ball without too much difficulty. The brass section screws on easily and comes off easily and fits in my possibles bag out of the way when not in use. Others on here might want to try carrying a similar weighted tip for when they have a tight ball that doesn't want to seat
cheers mooncoon

I tried it out yesterday when fouling was building up a bit and it seems to work quite well. It only weighs a little over 2 oz but I can definitely feel the extra weight and it gives the ball an extra shove that make the difference between a difficult to seat ball and being able to seat the ball without too much difficulty. The brass section screws on easily and comes off easily and fits in my possibles bag out of the way when not in use. Others on here might want to try carrying a similar weighted tip for when they have a tight ball that doesn't want to seat
cheers mooncoon



















































