Help. What is this round

tufenuf

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Well Im not sure if this is the right spot so if not mods please move.

I had this interesting round given to me awhile back and id like to know some more about it. I figured the great minds here might be able to help Here are some pics sorry they are not that great
I threw in a 308 and a 300 win mag round to campare to
cgnsales2002.jpg

cgnsales2004.jpg


the head stamp marking is only 2 letters. An I at the top and a V at the bottom

thanks
 
Looks like a 1" Aiming Tube Ctg. It was for use in an artillery sub calibre device in Imperial service 1880s-1940s.
 
I think you're right green.

gunney, that's way too big. The rim diameter of the .700 NE is only .89".

tufenuf, could the V actually be a K?

KiMkiG.jpg
 
Last edited:
Might be a 19th Century(Boer War vintage) 'pom-pom' round. They came in a 1" calibre, as I recall.
I'm not seeing 'KI' on the list. I'd still bet on Kynoch though.
 
Pom pom was 37mm cal.
K I hs means it is a Percussion primed BP load Mark I made by Kynoch. This round , the 1" Aiming Rifle ctg was made in 14 marks with percussion or electric primers and was loaded with BP or Cordite.
Load was 400 gr BP or 160 gr Cordite with 4345 gr bt. Velocity 1080 fps at 240'.
 
Back
Top Bottom