Help with a relic condition Sharps Carbine

teufelhawk

Member
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Location
Sooke
I have a relic condition 1850’s(I believe) percussion sharps carbine. The only writing I can make out is on the tang, “sharps patent 1848” with what appears to be a 4-6 digit serial number. The previous owner looks to have acid dipped it to remove the rust. It appears that the barrel might have been lined as there is dissimilar rust happening in the bore, this is best seen at the breech end. Bore at muzzle is .5”, barrel is 21 5/8”
Looking for guidance on this one, I’ve taken a bunch of pictures.
2AA68D76-F052-444D-9C7B-4E8ADE221553.jpg
503FC6E8-D39E-4AAE-BDC1-78BDF90D8A66.jpg
9F2CC94D-964E-45E2-A7CB-D58203127981.jpg
EA0EA331-D023-45E3-BA92-78B7FA91D972.jpg
3C9F2A0B-41C0-447B-816B-8C0B6C3E2FA8.jpg
28E67B6E-039F-40D7-A9F5-07E10AE85C4A.jpg
1CFED39D-C9DA-40B3-AF29-E305F9CB0DC6.jpg
1088EDC8-134C-4EA6-9ADD-7BE4F26972B0.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 2AA68D76-F052-444D-9C7B-4E8ADE221553.jpg
    2AA68D76-F052-444D-9C7B-4E8ADE221553.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 503FC6E8-D39E-4AAE-BDC1-78BDF90D8A66.jpg
    503FC6E8-D39E-4AAE-BDC1-78BDF90D8A66.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 307
  • 9F2CC94D-964E-45E2-A7CB-D58203127981.jpg
    9F2CC94D-964E-45E2-A7CB-D58203127981.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 310
  • EA0EA331-D023-45E3-BA92-78B7FA91D972.jpg
    EA0EA331-D023-45E3-BA92-78B7FA91D972.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 3C9F2A0B-41C0-447B-816B-8C0B6C3E2FA8.jpg
    3C9F2A0B-41C0-447B-816B-8C0B6C3E2FA8.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 28E67B6E-039F-40D7-A9F5-07E10AE85C4A.jpg
    28E67B6E-039F-40D7-A9F5-07E10AE85C4A.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 1CFED39D-C9DA-40B3-AF29-E305F9CB0DC6.jpg
    1CFED39D-C9DA-40B3-AF29-E305F9CB0DC6.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 1088EDC8-134C-4EA6-9ADD-7BE4F26972B0.jpg
    1088EDC8-134C-4EA6-9ADD-7BE4F26972B0.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 310
I will have to admit that I would be very hesitant to rebuild it. It looks like the breach block is missing and that would be a challenge to make. More importantly I think it would take too much filing and grinding to reduce the pitting by 50 % or so.

cheers mooncoon
 
Hi mooncoon
The breech block is MIA, and given how pitted the rifle is I’m really unsure of the steels integrity. Not looking to rebuild it, more just identifying the model, maybe some of its history given the parts and such that remain. Not just it’s a carbine sharps. There are what, 5 different middles that fall into that broad category?
There doesn’t seem to be a decent internet database on these rifles which list model variations, or at least I wasn’t able to find anything after a few days of searching. Which I find really odd given the USA love for them.
 
it is a early Sharps as it looks like a slant breech model, i will have find my book on Sharps rifles and see what i can find
 
teufelhawk.

You have a Sharps Model 1853 carbine. Similar to the Model 1852. The give-away is the stud in the frame to retain the lever hinge pin. The Model 1852 had a spring mounted in the forend to retain the lever pin.

Regards,
Powderman
 
Hi
Okay, I can’t argue about the stud. A further question for clarification: the remains of the stud for the Saddle ring bar assembly seems to be on the wrong side of the bolt holding the lock in place.
0FED0EF7-CDD5-49E5-B232-E3F95C57B56A.jpg
Vs
9F2CC94D-964E-45E2-A7CB-D58203127981.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 0FED0EF7-CDD5-49E5-B232-E3F95C57B56A.jpg
    0FED0EF7-CDD5-49E5-B232-E3F95C57B56A.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 9F2CC94D-964E-45E2-A7CB-D58203127981.jpg
    9F2CC94D-964E-45E2-A7CB-D58203127981.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 189
Hi
Okay, I can’t argue about the stud. A further question for clarification: the remains of the stud for the Saddle ring bar assembly seems to be on the wrong side of the bolt holding the lock in place.
View attachment 389911


The photo of the Model 1853 you posted shows the early method of attaching the sling ring. Later Model 1853 carbines used this method to attach the sling ring, which is what was used on your carbine. Hope this helps.

H2863-L209297996.jpg

Regards,
Powderman
 

Attachments

  • H2863-L209297996.jpg
    H2863-L209297996.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 151
Hi Powderman,
Thanks, that answered that. :)
Is there a online source for this info that I missed when I was trying out my google-fu?

Hi
Okay, I can’t argue about the stud. A further question for clarification: the remains of the stud for the Saddle ring bar assembly seems to be on the wrong side of the bolt holding the lock in place.
View attachment 389911


The photo of the Model 1853 you posted shows the early method of attaching the sling ring. Later Model 1853 carbines used this method to attach the sling ring, which is what was used on your carbine. Hope this helps.

View attachment 390187

Regards,
Powderman
 
teufelhawk,

I found the pic online. Fed "Sharps Model 1853 photo" into Google. Most 1853s are set up like the pic you posted. There are a couple more sling ring attachments on 1853s.

Regards,
Powderman
 
teufelhawk,

The type of sling ring attachment shown in the Morphy Auction image you posted, was the standard mounting on muzzle loading carbines of the day and allowed the carbine to hang properly for reloading. That type of attachment proved unsuitable for the innovative breech loading Sharps carbine and the sling ring mounting on your carbine, and in the photo I posted, allowed the carbine to hang properly for loading from the breech. The automatic priming system on the Sharps was another innovation.

Regards,
Powderman
 
Okay, so it’s a late modification to the design to allow for ease of loading. Too bad the rifle wasn’t is better shape... oh well it’s been good to start a near conversation and I learned some helpful information.
Many thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom