how difficult is it to remove a Martini Enfield barrel?

louthepou

Snow-White Le Mod<br>Moderator
Moderator
Rating - 100%
797   0   0
Location
Aylmer, QC
Hi folks, recently got a "project box".

One complete Martini Enfield, but with a peculiar receiver. No markings. None whatsoever, anywhere.

Picture166_zps6a8a255b.jpg


And, inside, where I usually have seen a machined part, under the rear-most threads of the barrel, looks more like a welded job. (sorry for the out-of-focus picture)

Picture167_zps7de91ca1.jpg


The barrel, though, seems decent, and has some info.

Picture163-1_zps10fbc889.jpg

Picture162_zps7fb58a30.jpg

Picture161-1_zpsb2216c09.jpg


Now, also in the box, came a nice receiver. On it is a SMLE barrel, buggered quite a bit. Sort of an abandoned project from a previous owner.

Picture164_zpsd40f8cba.jpg

Picture165_zps9cc86238.jpg


So, I am wondering...

Should I trust the unmarked receiver?

Or should I remove its barrel, and put it on the nicer receiver?

Thanks for any input...

Louis
 
Lou, I believe that the thread on an SMLE barrel is the same.

And that means that you should be able to get a Number 4 barrel to work, although half a turn out. Number 4 barrel has the same outer profle as the early barrels, SMLE is much lighter.

Remove the EXTRACTOR from the MH action and see if things bolt together right. If they do, then you can machine off whatever is necessary for the ME extractor.

Does anyone here know anything better?

Hope so!
 
As to difficulty of removal, if you have a barrel vise, just clamp it on good and solid, using rosin and whatever shims are necessary. Turn the ACTION OFF the barrel with a good wrench which supports the FRONT of the action. Wrench on the rear of the action will twist it.

If it's anything like an SMLE barrel, you might need a LOT of torque before it lets go with a huge "BANG!".

Then it turns out by finger power.
 
Thanks Smellie. The thought of using a spare No4 barrel never came to mind. And I happen to have a spare No4 barrel. Hmm...

The No1Mk3 barrel on the "good" action has been worked on, to carve some extractor relief. But it seems poorly done.

The only hesitation I have with keeping the original barrel on the unmarked receiver is, well... it's unmarked, so I can't guess about its origin, or strength?
 
The top barrel and receiver IMHO appear to be Khyber pass made and should not be fired.

I agree. The stampings on it are really poor. Look at the random letters and backwards characters. Real markings are much cleaner even if worn.
Replacement receiver looks fine to me. You can see the faint original proof mark in the corner. Not sure what the "B 291" means though.
 
The thought of Khyber Pass did occur to me - i was secretly hoping no one else would mention and that i would simply see myself being over cautious... I'll try to take pictures of other details, for discussion sake.
 
Aha! The famous Long Branch Martini action! :cool: First time I've seen one of those this week...:yingyang:

I agree about the Khyber Pass origin of the first and would not use that barrel.

The Number 4 barrel idea sounds like a good one unless using the one that's in it now is a better one.


Picture165_zps9cc86238.jpg
 
The barrel on that action is one from a No1Mk3, and someone welded the front sight inletting and the holes for the rear sight as well. And the job done for the extractor isn't the nicest. I think I'm going to remove it and figure out what best to do from there... Maybe use the Khyber Pass barrel as model for working on the No4 barrel...

Thanks for all the valuable input, folks, it is very much appreciated.

Louis
Aha! The famous Long Branch Martini action! :cool: First time I've seen one of those this week...:yingyang:

I agree about the Khyber Pass origin of the first and would not use that barrel.

The Number 4 barrel idea sounds like a good one unless using the one that's in it now is a better one.


Picture165_zps9cc86238.jpg
 
The barrel on that action is one from a No1Mk3, and someone welded the front sight inletting and the holes for the rear sight as well. And the job done for the extractor isn't the nicest. I think I'm going to remove it and figure out what best to do from there... Maybe use the Khyber Pass barrel as model for working on the No4 barrel...

Thanks for all the valuable input, folks, it is very much appreciated.

Louis

i would not even do that the parts are not good at all so the barrel may not even work if set up like the khyber pass barrel as a guide what i would to is deact the khyber pass rifle and forget about it. as for the last receiver make sure you have mk IV parts for it like the breech block,lever,extractor,ect
 
Thanks Antique guy. Interestingly enough, The box-o-parts came with (I think) all that is needed to put something complete together.

And yup, rest assured the Khyber crudely-made wannabe will not shoot. For the fun of it, I'm trying to take the block apart and snap some pics of the parts.
 
Back
Top Bottom