How much ammo are you keeping in the gun room these days?

Really???
I thought reloading rifle rounds were very time consuming and almost not worth reloading unless you really like it as a hobby???
If I could do 3000 rounds of any caliber in a sitting I would be all over it lol
Oh and believe you me, I agree on Never enough ammo :)

Hehehe... :D

This is my reloading machine that I load rifle and pistol on.

It has been seriously upgraded since this video though, I just got a KISS bulletfeeder, so it upped my production from 1000 rounds per hour to about 1500-1800 comfortorably. Some people go as fast as 2000 per hour with this setup, but that is too fast for me too keep up feeding in primers, brass, and bullets.

Take a peek at my old setup... :D

[youtube]eyCVwd64eEk[/youtube]
 
WOW!! very impressive :)
So how much do you think it would cost to reload 1K 300 winmag rounds??
Think it is defiantly worth it price wise?? I've got the time I just need to know if its worth it before I spend a lot of cash.
Do you roll all your brass in that oil and clean it before loading??
 
Yes.

You will probably save about 40% over factory prices, minus whatever your investment in the reloading equipment.

As for the reloading equipment, think of it as time vs money...

Single stage- Cheap but slow. Favored by precision rifle shooters due to the ability to control the quality very closely and produce very consistant cartridges.

Turret Press- 3-5 times the price of a single stage once you get accessories, but it increases production speed by a factor of 4 easily. Not having to change the dies really speeds up the production. Has the added advantage of being able to operate as a single stage if the auto index linkage is removed.

Progressive Press- Expensive as hell. Expect to spend $1000 on the low side once you have all the nessisary accessories. Think of them as the best and the fastest of the reloading world. 500 rounds per hour is easy to attain once you get your dies set up and your machine properly tuned. Some, as in the video I posted, can attain almost 2000 rounds per hour. Favored by handgun shooters and volume rifle shooters due to the large quantitys required by their disciplines. You generally know when you are ready for such a machine, not for the first time reloader.

That is the various machines for you in a nutshell.

It is up to you depending on how much your time is worth. :wave:
 
Saving 40% sound like a good deal to me. Thanx

Your equipment & time comes out of that. If you don't value your time, it's just the price of equipment. Now you need to calculate how many rounds you need to make times the savings equals the cost of equipment (& space required) and you will see that you need to make about 10,000 rounds to justify the cost. Time is the big factor for me. I need to save $200 per hour of effort to justify making ammo. At a 40% savings, I would need to use $500 in ammo per hour to justify the time to make it. The numbers don't add up for me.
 
Sadly, noy enough. I am out of 9mm and very short on .223 and 12ga. I have about 1000 rounds of 7.62 x 39 but that won't last long. I really need to either buy some more or actually get off my ass and start the process of getting some reloading gear and supplies and make my own stuff for the range.
 
Really???
About a week ago I read a thread that had lot of people on here comparing the price of reloading to buying new. The price was really close, to close unless you just liked reloading. So reloading 1K 300 winmag rounds would be half the price of buying them new??

Oh and believe you me, I agree on Never enough ammo :)

144$ per 1k of 9mm compared to 260-330$ new big savings there
or for 223 about 280-290$ per 1K so again still a savings. when you consider that its about 240-300 per 500 rounds of 223 for factory
 
Really???
About a week ago I read a thread that had lot of people on here comparing the price of reloading to buying new. The price was really close, to close unless you just liked reloading. So reloading 1K 300 winmag rounds would be half the price of buying them new??

Oh and believe you me, I agree on Never enough ammo :)
my 300wsm , I shoot nosler accubonds ,IMR 4350 and I do it for about a $1.03 a round = $20.60 a box of 20 and I get 1" groups at 100y, A box of Winchester accubonds is $56 a box .So a total of $35 a box I save and I dont know how they would shoot in my gun . My 9mm I shoot 124 FMJ's and it cost .14 cents a round so $7 a box of 50 compaired to $14 a box of factory. It dosent take long to pay off the reloading equipment with this way of thinking. Plus it is fun as well
 
Back
Top Bottom