Reasons for using the nitrocellulose-based smokeless in muzzle loaders are the same reasons you use the powers in your cartridge rifles. Better performance (muzzle velocity) due to burning slower, much easier to clean (and non-corrosive), and the bonus that the material is inherently a little more stable.
I don't shoot muzzle loaders (altho I might, it would give me another week of deer season in my WMU), but my impression is that the misconception is more common than one would like to think. "I've been shooting muzzle loaders for YEARS, I know how to load them," and end up like the picture, or worse.
Reasons for using the nitrocellulose-based smokeless in muzzle loaders are the same reasons you use the powers in your cartridge rifles. Better performance (muzzle velocity) due to burning slower, much easier to clean (and non-corrosive), and the bonus that the material is inherently a little more stable.
I don't shoot muzzle loaders (altho I might, it would give me another week of deer season in my WMU), but my impression is that the misconception is more common than one would like to think. "I've been shooting muzzle loaders for YEARS, I know how to load them," and end up like the picture, or worse.
The Savage 10ML is designed to use smokeless or black. Properly loaded it is completely safe. Improperly loaded, it, like any other firearm can result in damageThats sucks - I am surprised that a manufacturer would OK the use of smokeless in a ML in todays world. Met a fellow once a long time ago that put pistol powder in a ML while drinking back in the 70's . Disfigured for life.
The Savage 10ML is designed to use smokeless or black. Properly loaded it is completely safe. Improperly loaded, it, like any other firearm can result in damage
That is terrible, I really never got the point of firing muzzle loaders in this day and age. Rather just toss a ready made bullet in to a store bought gun, and safely pull the trigger. Just seems like alot of work, and room for errors for me.
I don't care how he ended up pipe bombing his gun, that's a horrible injury to suffer.
Daaaaaaamn!
Poor b*stard!



























