hunting Yotes with rifle & antique handgun side arm

Don't hunt with the revolver. Say it's for target shooting if asked. Although I think it may technically be legal in Ontario?
 
you would have to look into the fish and game regs. I don't think there is anything that says you can't use it for hunting, but you could call fish and game to find out. It depends on the province or territory
 
you would have to look into the fish and game regs. I don't think there is anything that says you can't use it for hunting, but you could call fish and game to find out. It depends on the province or territory

I have no idea of the regs in your territory but in BC you will be charged and your antique will be taken away from you.
 
Here in NS at least, DNR regs are fairly explicit as to what you can/can't carry in a "wildlife habitat" (read "anywhere on the planet earth that wildlife may currently, previously, or at some point in the future, possibly walk through.) I'm pretty sure antique wheel gun ain't on the list. I looked into this as a possible "common sense workaround" awhile ago when checking out a Webley MkII.
 
Here in NS at least, DNR regs are fairly explicit as to what you can/can't carry in a "wildlife habitat" (read "anywhere on the planet earth that wildlife may currently, previously, or at some point in the future, possibly walk through.) I'm pretty sure antique wheel gun ain't on the list. I looked into this as a possible "common sense workaround" awhile ago when checking out a Webley MkII.

I use to live in N.S. the hunting and discharge regs phucking suck.
 
I use to live in N.S. the hunting and discharge regs phucking suck.
They surely do brother. That said, in 50-some years of huntin', fishin', other bush related activities, i have yet to have a negative experience with a DNR officer. Have heard of many 2nd hand accounts of not so great encounters but so far I've been lucky enough to deal with the good guys/gals.
 
Do you folks have reading comprehension issues? He is listed as being in "sask," this is not short form for "Ontario," or British Columbia,"

FFS, if you don't have the answer to the question, fk off.

If the OP if lying about his location, then he should get banned.

and your answer to his question is?? or do you have the dreaded comprehension issue too??
 
I have no idea of the regs in your territory but in BC you will be charged and your antique will be taken away from you.

What happens in other provinces has little to do with the regs in your home province/territory. I read nothing in the act that says i cannot use an antique revolver. Only caliber limits such as .30 for large game, .222 and .223 for wolf, and 200grain for wood bison. small game has no specifications.
On first glance in sask, I see nothing against it, but I don't see why you cant just ask the officers?
 
Do you folks have reading comprehension issues? He is listed as being in "sask," this is not short form for "Ontario," or British Columbia,"

FFS, if you don't have the answer to the question, fk off.

If the OP if lying about his location, then he should get banned.

Why don't you ####off. I know he's is Saskatchewan, but was pointing out in Ontario I believe there is no "no handgun hunting" rule as there is in BC. All provinces are different as you can see.
 
I have no idea of the regs in your territory but in BC you will be charged and your antique will be taken away from you.

Is there precedent set on this, or a ruling somewhere?
I know BC hunters are limited to what firearms they can use to hunt, but having an antique on you in addition to the appropriate hunting rifle is a different matter. If you don't use it to hunt an animal they can't really say you were without going onto an "I suspect it but can't prove it" line of charges. Additionally, carrying a hunting firearm means you have a better firearm to use - why would you use a less quality one?

A further argument down the line would be that you just like being able to do it because it's legal to do, or that it's for limited self defense when you're gutting and carrying out the animal because the rifle won't easily be at hand - something that is widely accepted as a viable use in most parts of the world.

Not disputing your statement, just looking to find out if the government has made a ruling and putting my 2C out there :p
 
Despite arguments here and elsewhere on these forums, carrying a handgun, antique or otherwise, without a licence to do so is illegal. Regardless of an antique handgun not being considered a firearm under the FA. You cannot hunt with a handgun(hunting regs usually say what the FA says. And you will not get an ATT to hunt. Wilderness carrying permits are NOT about hunting.) other than an under 500FPS air pistol, anywhere in Canada. You can hunt upland birds with an under 500 FPS air pistol in Ontario though.
 
Back
Top Bottom