I caught the cap and ball bug

Klondiker

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
So I picked up two Colts last month, an 1849 Colt Pocket Pistol and a M1851 Colt Navy, both all matching and in original very good condition. I decided that if I wanted to learn by myself how to shoot cap and ball I should probably get a modern reproduction. So I got a Pietta 1851 Navy from Wolverine and started down the rabbit hole.

After getting everything I thought I would need: wads, FFFG Goex powder, Hornady .375 balls, #10 caps, flasks, a brick a bullet lube (pretty much looks like a brick of butter)

I was at the range yesterday and it was great. My 9 year old loved shooting black powder. It provided a break for him from using a S&W K38, Ruger Bearcat and his Brownng 1911-22. Rough life, I know.

I'd say the balls are a perfect fit because when you press them in to the chambers just the slightest little ring of lead is shaved off, and it doesn't take much pressure to do it.

Questions-------

-Are using wads really necessary? With such a tight fit of the ball to the chamber I can't imagine having a cross fire. Or does it help fill the chamber and compress the powder even more?

-Is using the brick of bullet lube necessary? I didn't use it yesterday and fired about 80 rounds, brought it home and washed with soap and water. It seems to have cleaned up quite nicely. And if it's best practice to lube the balls, (lol, yeah, I know...) whats the best way to apply it?


Any help and suggestion are welcome!

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
As mentioned, wonder wads are super convenient. Plus, they’re less messy than Crisco.

Love the smell, fireball and huge smoke cloud from BP.
 
It's good to introduce lube into the bore somehow. Wads are good but I usually goop the cylinder mouths if I don't know how long before firing so as not to contaminate the powder.

If you have properly sized balls I strongly believe that most chain fires are from caps falling off and being ignited by flash off the blast shield. In a couple decades of experience I've never had or been near a chain fire and don't have first hand evidence.
 
Chain fires are fun to watch .... not so to experience.

You can experience chain fires from BOTH ends. One of my Remmies has a couple of out-of-round chamber mouths and the flash got by the lube over the bullet.

Until I pointed it out at a CAS RO class, SASS rules permitted a 5 shot revolver to start uncapped, the chamber to be capped on the clock "sometime before the first and the last shot".

After a brief discussion, this oversight was amended.
 
I found a really good article about black powder pistol shooting a while back by John Fuhring. He writes about a myriad of topics relevant to pistol shooting with black powder.

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps1.html

From the forward:

All learning requires WORK and so I'm NOT going to shortcut the process with "instant Internet knowledge" through videos. There are just some things that you have to spend time reading, thinking about and practicing rather than rely on simply watching a video that's over in 10 minutes. Here you will encounter a series of detailed essays that you will have to spend some time with. Yes, it is work to read all this stuff, but it can also be fun for the "old hands" to learn how somebody else does things and these articles can be of interest to the new comers who might need some background and encouragement and a place to start. Best of all, my website is free, without commercials or anything for sale and you don't have to worry that your visit will be used for commercial purposes. So, if you have some time to do some reading and like the subject of black powder revolver shooting, please give my articles a look-see.
 
I found a really good article about black powder pistol shooting a while back by John Fuhring. He writes about a myriad of topics relevant to pistol shooting with black powder.

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps1.html

From the forward:

All learning requires WORK and so I'm NOT going to shortcut the process with "instant Internet knowledge" through videos. There are just some things that you have to spend time reading, thinking about and practicing rather than rely on simply watching a video that's over in 10 minutes. Here you will encounter a series of detailed essays that you will have to spend some time with. Yes, it is work to read all this stuff, but it can also be fun for the "old hands" to learn how somebody else does things and these articles can be of interest to the new comers who might need some background and encouragement and a place to start. Best of all, my website is free, without commercials or anything for sale and you don't have to worry that your visit will be used for commercial purposes. So, if you have some time to do some reading and like the subject of black powder revolver shooting, please give my articles a look-see.

That's excellent! Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to sitting down and going over it.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qxwd4bMFfc&t

I have been hooked on cap and ball since InRangeTv posted this video a few months ago.

A couple of weeks later I bought a use Pietta 1851 Civil War Rebel Confederate Revolver and then a couple of months later I bought a new Pietta 1862 Sherriff. I just ordered some upgraded #11 nipples and ratcheting wrench for it from Jedediah Starr Trading Co.

I have a feeling I will be buying a .36 fairly soon.
 
So I picked up two Colts last month, an 1849 Colt Pocket Pistol and a M1851 Colt Navy, both all matching and in original very good condition. I decided that if I wanted to learn by myself how to shoot cap and ball I should probably get a modern reproduction. So I got a Pietta 1851 Navy from Wolverine and started down the rabbit hole.

After getting everything I thought I would need: wads, FFFG Goex powder, Hornady .375 balls, #10 caps, flasks, a brick a bullet lube (pretty much looks like a brick of butter)

I was at the range yesterday and it was great. My 9 year old loved shooting black powder. It provided a break for him from using a S&W K38, Ruger Bearcat and his Brownng 1911-22. Rough life, I know.

I'd say the balls are a perfect fit because when you press them in to the chambers just the slightest little ring of lead is shaved off, and it doesn't take much pressure to do it.

Questions-------

-Are using wads really necessary? With such a tight fit of the ball to the chamber I can't imagine having a cross fire. Or does it help fill the chamber and compress the powder even more?

-Is using the brick of bullet lube necessary? I didn't use it yesterday and fired about 80 rounds, brought it home and washed with soap and water. It seems to have cleaned up quite nicely. And if it's best practice to lube the balls, (lol, yeah, I know...) whats the best way to apply it?


Any help and suggestion are welcome!

Thanks!

Hi,
I am new to cap and ball too, I went for the Taylor 1851 Navy and just waiting for transfer. I will start with (after gathering info ) with Pyrodex, lubed wads and ball.
Please post pictures of the Colt 1851.
OK
 
My experience is from the competitive side of cap and ball shooting, yes it exists and it’s a good excuse to travel.

Internationally, I can say I’ve seen never seen anyone use wads. I’m sure a few do, but typically people use semolina or corn meal/ cram of wheat (not instant) as a buffer between between the powder and ball; then cover the ball withe lube ( eg bore butter or a bees wax based product and in cold temp lithium grease).

Enjoy the new found addiction

Brian
 
It's good to introduce lube into the bore somehow. Wads are good but I usually goop the cylinder mouths if I don't know how long before firing so as not to contaminate the powder.

If you have properly sized balls I strongly believe that most chain fires are from caps falling off and being ignited by flash off the blast shield. In a couple decades of experience I've never had or been near a chain fire and don't have first hand evidence.

I've been shooting C&B revolvers since 1968, and shoot my ROA regulalry since I bought it back in 1986. On a monthly guest day here, I probably see around a hundred shots from my ROA with the guests shooting. I have never encountered a chain-fire. Even somebody else's. They DO happen, that's for sure...but so far, not to me.
 
I found a really good article about black powder pistol shooting a while back by John Fuhring. He writes about a myriad of topics relevant to pistol shooting with black powder.

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps1.html

From the forward:

All learning requires WORK and so I'm NOT going to shortcut the process with "instant Internet knowledge" through videos. There are just some things that you have to spend time reading, thinking about and practicing rather than rely on simply watching a video that's over in 10 minutes. Here you will encounter a series of detailed essays that you will have to spend some time with. Yes, it is work to read all this stuff, but it can also be fun for the "old hands" to learn how somebody else does things and these articles can be of interest to the new comers who might need some background and encouragement and a place to start. Best of all, my website is free, without commercials or anything for sale and you don't have to worry that your visit will be used for commercial purposes. So, if you have some time to do some reading and like the subject of black powder revolver shooting, please give my articles a look-see.

That was a really interesting read. Thanks for that.

Now to go get some crisco and beeswax!
 
Welcome to the the Church of the Holy Black, I started shooting bp about 2 years ago , I shoot 1858 Remmie's. As for the age old wad vs lube conversation I initially used lube on top of powder and ball. Found it messy in the heat so switched to lubed wads between powder and ball and found it very convenient. However this past winter I started making paper cartridges which I really like but it means I'm back to lubing - I use a homemade concoction 60/40 olive oil and beeswax. Here's a link to one of the dozens of videos on paper cartridges. https://youtu.be/-2HUcfAyaaQ


Here's a pic of my rig which include pouches for my Powder Flask, Polish Capper, Spare Cylinders and Cartridge pouch.

20200106_141558.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20200106_141558.jpg
    20200106_141558.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom