During deer season, I had knocked down a nice buck, and he thrashed around for a while, then got up and ran off. I asked this forum for advice to prevent repeats. The recurring theme in the responses was shot placement. Consequently, after season ended, I hit the backyard range, and was alarmed at what I saw. My groupings were pretty sad. I spent some time on this site, and others, looking for answers again. Once again, what I learned was pretty basic stuff, but it worked! Here's my initial effort at 30 yards, 90 grains of powder, 100% cotton tee shirt patch, and a dirty bore. By dirty, I mean likely 25 or 30 shots, and 3 weeks without cleaning.
Not too good...but I gave the rifle a good cleaning, and here's the result...
Better, right? So then I found a different shirt to tear into strips for patching. It was 100% cotton denim, not as heavy as jeans, heavier than a tee shirt. Also, I reduced the charge to 60 grains, and cleaned with oily patch, then dry patch Better again...
The last effort was with a reduced charge of 45 grains. The 'flyer" is the first shot, forgot to reduce the charge...duhhh. Still swabbing between shots.
Here's the difference between recovered patches.
The thinner patches were burning through, almost disintigrating. Also, with a clean bore, they were not tight enough in a .50 barrel and .495 balls. The thicker cotton was much better. As I mentioned above, this is sort of muzzleloading 101, but I have been away from it for 25 years, and needed a refresher. I thought that it might be interesting to some of the newer shooters on this forum.
I know that we all tended to use much heavier charges back in the day. Big bang=fun. Now, small bang=cheap, accurate, comfortable to shoot. Win, win, win. The down side will come next deer season. 45 grains sure has less muzzle energy than 90. That's it till I can get to Jo Brook for some more caps. OBTW, here's my old Great Plains from my perspective. The old Lyman tang mounted peep sight works great. Peep sights are awsome!
Thanks for checking this out.
Not too good...but I gave the rifle a good cleaning, and here's the result...
Better, right? So then I found a different shirt to tear into strips for patching. It was 100% cotton denim, not as heavy as jeans, heavier than a tee shirt. Also, I reduced the charge to 60 grains, and cleaned with oily patch, then dry patch Better again...
The last effort was with a reduced charge of 45 grains. The 'flyer" is the first shot, forgot to reduce the charge...duhhh. Still swabbing between shots.
Here's the difference between recovered patches.
The thinner patches were burning through, almost disintigrating. Also, with a clean bore, they were not tight enough in a .50 barrel and .495 balls. The thicker cotton was much better. As I mentioned above, this is sort of muzzleloading 101, but I have been away from it for 25 years, and needed a refresher. I thought that it might be interesting to some of the newer shooters on this forum.
I know that we all tended to use much heavier charges back in the day. Big bang=fun. Now, small bang=cheap, accurate, comfortable to shoot. Win, win, win. The down side will come next deer season. 45 grains sure has less muzzle energy than 90. That's it till I can get to Jo Brook for some more caps. OBTW, here's my old Great Plains from my perspective. The old Lyman tang mounted peep sight works great. Peep sights are awsome!
Thanks for checking this out.


















































