is the "0.40" S&W, a dead or dying caliber?

Is the .40 S&W, a dead or dying caliber?


  • Total voters
    194
  • Poll closed .

bigWhisky

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
alberta
Over the past few years I've put extensive effort into collecting only one caliber of handgun, and I stuck with the .40 S&W...

I have some people in the know that assure me 9mm, was the, and is the, way to go. Ample supply, and easy to find, not too hard on the pocketbook.

Did I make a mistake putting my resources into the S & W?
 
9mm kills paper just as well as 40 S&W.

However if you shoot IPSC, then 40 gets you into Major if you shoot Standard Division. Otherwise we have gone pretty much 9mm.

Given a choice right now between say the identical gun in 9mm and 40, I will always choose 9mm unless there is a specific reason for 40 (IPSC) etc.

Of course there are always bigger (or smaller) options, for those special times........
 
.40 S&W can either be a major or minor caliber depending on how you load it. That's versatility by anyone's standard. Major "9" is prohibited in IPSC, is it not?
 
.40 isn't going away anytime soon, thanks to widespread police usage. It isn't much more expensive to shoot than 9mm if you reload with either commercial or homemade cast bullets.

One of the neat things about the .40 S&W is that it is more or less a ballistic equivalent to the old .38-40 (which is really .40 cal.). To my mind, this speaks volumes about its effiacy.

I seem to have accumulated a supply of .40 brass as a result of unintentionally picking it up from the range floor when I am shooting 9mm or .45. I am inclined to treat this as a sign that I should pick up something in .40 one day. After all, what's the sense in having brass for a gun you don't own? :)
 
.40S&W is a pretty nice round. I shoot a lot of it in bulk through my 10mm guns. Much nicer than reloading 1000pcs of soft 10mm just to shoot it.
 
dont think .40 is going anywhere. if anything i think its getting more popular.

And whats the big deal if you shoot a "dead" caliber. once you have your brass your almost set. if you cast your own projectiles your golden.
 
People are just used to it now, and so there is no more need to permote it anymore, its become dull and boreing, like saying 30/30 0ver and over
 
Very Good Results So Far...

Dead!, 3, 6.67%
Dying?, 7, 15.56%
Nice option..., 17, 37.78%
Can't be without it!, 18, 40.00%

Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45.



cheers, keep the advice and votes flowing in.


500px-40_S%26W_Scale_Drawing.svg.png
 
.40 S&W can either be a major or minor caliber depending on how you load it. That's versatility by anyone's standard. Major "9" is prohibited in IPSC, is it not?

that would be news to a lot of IPSC shooters. the only disadvantage is in Standard where you need at least .40 to make major. in open, yes you can make major in 9mm ( major, super, whatever)
 
.40 isn't going away anytime soon, thanks to widespread police usage. It isn't much more expensive to shoot than 9mm if you reload with either commercial or homemade cast bullets.

One of the neat things about the .40 S&W is that it is more or less a ballistic equivalent to the old .38-40 (which is really .40 cal.). To my mind, this speaks volumes about its effiacy.

I seem to have accumulated a supply of .40 brass as a result of unintentionally picking it up from the range floor when I am shooting 9mm or .45. I am inclined to treat this as a sign that I should pick up something in .40 one day. After all, what's the sense in having brass for a gun you don't own? :)


Now there's logic I can understand, shame my wife does not.....
 
that would be news to a lot of IPSC shooters. the only disadvantage is in Standard where you need at least .40 to make major. in open, yes you can make major in 9mm ( major, super, whatever)

Well, you're mostly right... .357 SIG (9 mil. projectile) has been provisionally approved for major power factor in Standard division, and while 9 mil. projectiled rounds are common in Open, the 2009 rule book requires that the minimum bullet weight be 120 grains... so no more 115'ers... so not all 9 mil. projectiles are "legal" in IPSC Open division. Production division, well, that's another story, and one where the MM after the 9 stands for Mickey Mouse... :ar15:
 
Dead!, 4, 4.94%
Dying?, 12, 14.82%
Nice option..., 30, 37.04%
Can't be without it!, 34, 41.97%

Most Useless Thread! 1, 1.23%, always one in the crowd...

Just wanted to know if the low .40 handgun stock at the shops (P&D) were, lack of interest or because they're selling like hotcakes... thanks everyone for all the input.
 
I'm of the opinion that 40 S&W is going to be the new 38 Special. So many police forces are switching over to it, its just bound to keep growing in popularity.
 
Seems pretty popular around here! I would say that at least 25% of the shooters I talk to at the range are shooting 40. I went with 9mm because it was more economical for me at the time but the 40 is fun to shoot with a bit more ooomph when you pull the trigger. I shoot better with 9 or 45 though....

Jeff
 
Back
Top Bottom